Lumpy idle for a few minutes afte starting

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: 927465

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 110000
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

My 53 plate 1.4 HDI 8v engine, has just recently developed a problem where semi randomly/after a period of time sitting switched off/maybe related to temperature. Not really sure of the pattern.

Anyway it starts fine but is very lumpy once idling, as if it has excess diesel, and you get a bit of smoke out the back and the smell of diesel. Anyway after literally a few minutes of driving, the problem disappears and everything seems normal. I have pulled over numerous times after driving for a bit to see how it idles and it does appear that literally after a 1-2 minutes, the problem has disappeared. There are no engine management lights or anything like that. Its like fuel is getting past a injector/valve/seal and when its turned off, sitting over night/all day the fuel has collated. Although sometimes it starts fine and idles fine, but that is getting less common.

Although I have owned this diesel car for nearly 6 years, I don't really know that much about diesel engines. About a year ago, it did have most of the fuel pipes replaced due to air getting in the pipes. Citroen couldn't figure out where the air was getting in so had to replace them all. Or that's what they told me anyway, certainly they had changed all the fuel pipes I could see in the engine compartment.

I know some one might say get a lexia 3 and use that to see what codes come up. I'm trying to obtain a lexia but I don't want to spend too much on the lexia/my car, as my car is nearly 11 years old.

Does anyone have any advice/likely causes etc,etc??
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

927465 wrote:
I know some one might say get a lexia 3 and use that to see what codes come up. I'm trying to obtain a lexia but I don't want to spend too much on the lexia/my car, as my car is nearly 11 years old.

Does anyone have any advice/likely causes etc,etc??
Trouble with likely causes, common faults is you need to buy a part and replace the suspect. Then you find the fault is still there and it wasn't a common fault or likely cause and its money wasted :(

The MAF has a hand in tweaking the fuel delivery and that may be misreading, and cleaning those things (with this) is an option, but you shouldn't replace it without some lexia diagnostics first.

If you suspect injectors, although a worn injector is worn, no matter what the engine is doing, try a leak off test. Its cheap, almost free if you have the right bits knocking around. It may be something to do while you wait for your lexia?