loss of power on hill - 1.4 hdi 8v

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: groundhog2378

Experienced Member

citroen c3 hdi 8v 2002 1.4 diesel
just bought this car so far i had oil change, air filter,cleaned fuel injectors,new air mass sensor,new egr switch,new egr valve,new pipes,cam belt water pump,
and still losing power on hills,
i was going to change the fuel filter but for some reason the plug wouldnt fit, it was to long for the new fuel filter.
so i will be taking it back to citroen dealers in the week to find out why.
im hoping it just needs a new fuel filter,
if it is still the same after that has anyone got any idea what to try next.
no fault codes with diagnostic check.
please help im running out of money.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi groundhog2378
groundhog2378 wrote:no fault codes with diagnostic check.
This is surprising as there are often error codes stored from previous problems. Did you get the codes read out of the car by a Lexia or a citroen dealer with the citroen gear? as you may be missing out some key information by only using a generic code scanner.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Experienced Member

Arfur Dent wrote:Hi groundhog2378
groundhog2378 wrote:no fault codes with diagnostic check.
This is surprising as there are often error codes stored from previous problems. Did you get the codes read out of the car by a Lexia or a citroen dealer with the citroen gear? as you may be missing out some key information by only using a generic code scanner.
hi the only fault code i got was from air mass sensor ,i got a new one but my car was still the same, so he did it again and no codes,
i only got the loss of power after my cam belt was done,i have a new egr and fuel filter,took the car for a run my top speed is 50 mph and i got a loud screeching sound coming from engine when warm after 20 min run.
im getting fed up now and dont know what to do.
please help.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

i got a loud screeching sound coming from engine when warm after 20 min run.
I have had a similar sound from an engine and it turned out to be the cam belt tensioner which had locked up and the noise was the cambelt smooth side wearing away. It needed a new cambelt and tensioner. This also happened after the cambelt had been changed, but the tensioner hadn't. So in a very short time the engine had 2 cambelts and one tensioner fitted.

there is a post here:
https://citroenc3owners.com/diesel-citro ... -t207.html
with a squeal from the engine that turns out to be cambelt tensioner.

FIRST JOB - fix the cam belt screeching/squealing issue as this has the potential to ruin your engine very quickly

i only got the loss of power after my cam belt was done
Sounds like the cam belt is not fitted correctly. I am guessing 1 tooth out :|
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Experienced Member

Arfur Dent wrote:
i got a loud screeching sound coming from engine when warm after 20 min run.
I have had a similar sound from an engine and it turned out to be the cam belt tensioner which had locked up and the noise was the cambelt smooth side wearing away. It needed a new cambelt and tensioner. This also happened after the cambelt had been changed, but the tensioner hadn't. So in a very short time the engine had 2 cambelts and one tensioner fitted.

there is a post here:
https://citroenc3owners.com/diesel-citro ... -t207.html
with a squeal from the engine that turns out to be cambelt tensioner.

FIRST JOB - fix the cam belt screeching/squealing issue as this has the potential to ruin your engine very quickly

i forgot to say that i had the fuel injectors cleaned not replaced,if one or two was gone would this make the car very slow,i can only get top speed of 50 mph on moterway.
i only got the loss of power after my cam belt was done
Sounds like the cam belt is not fitted correctly. I am guessing 1 tooth out :|

Experienced Member

hi the machnic brought car back again today,he says the belt was slightly out and the fuel pump was out by 90 digrees
so he has put it right.
but it is still the same,runs ok on flat ,a bit slow but not to bad ,but as soon as you get to a hill its takes long time to get to 35 mph with foot to the floor.
any ideas ,i dont have any managment lights on .
i had fuel injectors cleaned ,not replaced would this make it run slow if they were damaged.
or could it be in limp mode because the belt wasnt right.
my car sound like a black cab very noisey for a diesel.
its only a 1.4.
i was thinking of taking it to citroen dealers tomorrow ,any idea how much they will charge just to find out whats wrong with it.
please help any advise would be great
:cry:
My Name: snowie

Contributor
Year: 2002 (02)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: VTR+

Hi,I have a C3 1.4HDi 8HX and I suffered the same problem.I bought this car recently to use for a trip to Germany because my other C3 won't start (as I have posted earlier) and set off on 31st August.All went well till I got to Dover and car started to lose power.I nearly never made it up the ramp to the ferry.1st gear at full throttle and just got on.
The rest of the journey was a nightmare.Top speed of 60 downhill with wind behind me,car shuddering cos engine wanted to go faster but ECU wouldn't let.Top revs of 2500 and hills,jeez,you should v seen the queue's behind me.Managed to get to my destination.
While there it would go ok for a bit then same thing so I took it to a Citroen dealer and, while my German is good my knowledge of mechanical terms in German isn't ,I got the gist that he meant the EGR valve and air intake were causing a problem.He only took 30 euro :D .
To cut an already long story short I bought an EGR blanking plate from ebay and got the guy to deliver it to me in Germany.
Car drove from then on as it should and even on all the hills on way back,fully loaded and with a full tank it only slowed slightly on the steeper hills.Drives brill now and all the sluggishness in lower revs has gone.
It's a 2003 with now 95,000 on the clock..Davie
My Name: snowie

Contributor
Year: 2002 (02)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: VTR+

Hi,again,got a pm from Arfur and can't find way to reply and I'm not allowed to send messages yet so I'll answer here.
I forgot to say in my post that the EGR valve is still attached to the car.I fitted a blanking plate with elongated holes which allowed me to slacken the EGR and slide the blanking plate in.Took me about half hour,removing air cleaner box,fuel filter,disconnect injector harness plug and disconnect fuel filter bracket,push it to the side and you have easy access to the EGR.All that with an over consumption of German wine the night before 8-)

Experienced Member

hi diognosic done today ,came up with air flow faults.
so i was told it was air mass sensor again,so i took the brand new one back to shop bought a better one that cost a bit more.
because he said the cheap vesion i had in was causeing power loss.
i put it in and my car is still the same loss power .
what now.
what else can cause air flow problems.
please help

Experienced Member

shall i use cat cleaner in my fuel
let me know thanks