Loss of power heavy black smoke.

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: Francois

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 150000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Hi i have a citroen C3 2002 1.4 HDI (guessing 8V)

I have no power on hills and heavy smoke when flooring the car.

If i drive straight roads\ downhills there is no smoke as i put no strain on the engine and the fuel consumption is fairly good.

If i go uphill or on an open road 100KM\H is a struggle to get to and loads of dark black smoke as the diesel is overfueling

I had the car on diag machine and it comes up with open relay circut (where to find this?)

The macanic thinks its the injectors, but after a couple of forums i dont know.

150000 Miles on the clock (245000KM)

The CAT was blocked so we removed it and blocked off the EGR Valve system i think.
Also full service done (oil,dieselfilter oil filter,airfilter, injector cleaner twice)
Replaced the wastegate on the turbo and pumped the boost up a bit

Car is better after that, but still excessive smoke and NO POWER. i have to put in 1st gear to get up a small hill.

PLEASE help!! i dont want to spend excessive amount of money on the injectors if it is not the fault.

Excuse the english :)
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Welcome to the forum Francois,
Excuse the english :)
Your English is very good! no need to apologise.

I have no power on hills and heavy smoke when flooring the car.
Also full service done (oil,dieselfilter oil filter,airfilter, injector cleaner twice) Replaced the wastegate on the turbo and pumped the boost up a bit
You have made a good start with the service.
I had the car on diag machine and it comes up with open relay circut (where to find this?)
I think diagnostics are going to be the key. The 'open relay circut' is just nonsense, you need full descriptions with their corresponding 'Pxxxx' codes to get anything meaningful from the diagnostic tests.

You will also have to run the diagnostics more than once and this is why I suggest you do the diagnostics yourself with the right tool which is Lexia. The lexia tool (not OBD tool) will give you the full error codes which you can 'screen capture' and add to your post, they will also help you look for the problem.

PLEASE help!! i dont want to spend excessive amount of money on the injectors if it is not the fault.
I agree, do the diagnostics, do it several times and see what come up. Just throwing money at the C3 isn't going to get it sorted, but will end up being very expensive.

If you wanted to test your injectors for wear, do a 'leak off test', its cheap and can identify faulty injectors very quickly.

https://citroenc3owners.com/diesel-citro ... -t314.html