high pressure fuel rail sensor has a fault

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: GINGERT

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 150
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Afternoon guys. This is my first time to the site so here it goes.

I have an original shape (02) Citroen C3 1.4 HDI. I have been having a few problems with the engine management light coming on whilst Im driving which leads to the car stuttering but then the engine management light goes off and the car seems to be ok if not a little under powered. This has been going on indiscriminately for about three weeks now and now its got to the point where the car is increasingly harder to start.

I took the car into my local citroen dealer for them to place it onto a diagnostic machine. They have told me that the high pressure fuel rail sensor has a fault but the sensor and the fuel rail are all one item which will cost me a wacking £376.57 for a replacement to be supplied and fitted.

My questions are as follows.

A) Can the sensor be purchased separately and if so is it worth it?
B) How hard is it to fit a sensor/fuel rail and what is involved
C) Is it worth purchasing a second hand rail and sensor.

I could really do with some sound advice here as i lost my job today so money will be extremely tight.

Thanks Guys

Tony
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi Tony, welcome to the forum.
A) Can the sensor be purchased separately and if so is it worth it?
You can get it separately, but because of the very high pressures in the common rail, getting a good seal is very important. This is why Citroen sell it as a complete unit, even though the sensor and rail are 2 different parts.
B) How hard is it to fit a sensor/fuel rail and what is involved
To fit the complete unit - rail and sensor as one part is quite simple. Find the common rail at the back of the engine, remove the pipes and electrical connector and change it.
C) Is it worth purchasing a second hand rail and sensor.
Quite probably, if yours is faulty, assuming the second hand one is ok.

Sensors are quite good on the C3, its the electrical connections that cause more problems. Cleaning the electrical connections can help and save expense. Pull off the common rail pressure sensor plug and clean it with some Contact Clean

You can find a Fuel Rail - Common Rail for Citroen C3 16v Diesel on ebay - here :)

Citroen C3 HDi common rail and sensor
Citroen C3 HDi common rail and sensor

Citroen C3 HDi common rail with pressure sensor
Citroen C3 HDi common rail with pressure sensor

Guru

Citroen C3 common rail and high pressure pump location on engine
Citroen C3 common rail and high pressure pump location on engine

The common rail is hiding behind the big EGR pipe and clip. You can see 3 of the 4 of the injector pipes and their nuts in the left of the picture.
My Name: GINGERT

Contributor
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 150
Trim Level: Desire

Hay C3 Guru

Thats brilliant! You obviously went out of your way to help me understand the job I am about to undertake. I did see the picture you sent to me on ebay but the garage advised me not to check ebay for a solution as they do a few different rails and in he's words 'he would hate for me to purchase the wrong one'. I did manage to prise a code out of him "1570G2" I don't know if this means anything to you?. The picture you sent me earlier is that the rail that I'd need because if it is I'll purchase that one and be done with it. Will I need to set it up with the ECU in any way or is it 'plug-n-play'?

I'm actually quite looking forward to doing this providing there are no hidden problems that I may encounter. I had to replace the rear wiper motor the other day and it wasn't till I drilled out the old rivets that it dawned on me that Id need an industrial rivet gun to attach it back to the car. The rivets are enormous! see picture below

Citroen C3 rear wiper mounting rivet
Citroen C3 rear wiper mounting rivet

Guru

Will I need to set it up with the ECU in any way or is it 'plug-n-play'?
Its just plug and play after priming the fuel system.
The picture you sent me earlier is that the rail that I'd need because if it is I'll purchase that one and be done with it.
Its a picture of a common rail from a C3 HDi. I don't know if its the right one for you. Its not the right one for your car.
But its not too difficult to find one, try here
To make sure you have the right one for your car, get one from a C3 with the same engine on the same year.

a C3 2002 16v 1.4HDi would be perfect.

But any of the 16v 1.4 Diesel ones will fit.

I did manage to prise a code out of him "1570G2" I don't know if this means anything to you?.
That is the Citroen part number for the delphi common rail and pressure sensor. This is the part you need.
I'm actually quite looking forward to doing this providing there are no hidden problems that I may encounter.
It sounds like a nice project. I would get a copy of the Haynes manual if you have not worked on a HDi engine before, so you have the safety covered.

It would be helpful if you took photos on the way so you can see how it goes back together.