Hesitant or jerky engine

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: scothern

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (54)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: VT
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Hi everybody I have recently bought a 54 plate XTR 1.4 Hdi 16v . When at part throttle at low speeds the engine seems to hesitate or jerk , this improves at higher revs. Starting and idle are OK acceleration seems smooth after an initial pause. I have changed the oil and filter, air and fuel filters... just to add, the other day when going uphill the engine management light came on, codes returned on simple multicar code reader was P1531 and P1160 Any ideas please, thanks
My Name: jbz2079

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.6
Mileage: 75000
Trim Level: Exclusive
DPF: Yes
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: BlueHDi (100 PS)

Getting the car on Lexia and reading the code through it would help you far more.
It would at least point you towards the problem, which could be anything from a bad loom connection, through to a bad throttle pedal and everything in between.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

jbz2079 wrote:Getting the car on Lexia and reading the code through it would help you far more.
It would at least point you towards the problem, which could be anything from a bad loom connection, through to a bad throttle pedal and everything in between.
I agree with jbz2079, P1531 does point to the throttle pedal system.

For a quick check, you could try removing the throttle pedal and cleaning the sensors and connections with some Contact Clean
The pedals have been known to give this sort of problem.
https://citroenc3owners.com/diesel-citro ... 45-10.html
corkish wrote:
Decided to work through the various systems and eventually came back to the throttle pedal. As this engine is fly by wire I thought this was worth checking so I removed this pedal assembly, 3 x 10mm bolts and one electrical connector, five mins work.

As I did not have a spare to hand I disassembled what I could carefully without breaking it!

Then proceeded to clean the entire electrical assembly of the pedal with a good quality electrical component cleaner.

The difference is very noticeable, no lag or hesitation and much smoother throughout the rev range.

So may be another thing to check if you experience this issue!

Chris

as for P1160, hopefully that will disappear when the P1531 is fixed, otherwise its a job for more time with lexia.
see P1160 on a Citroen C3 HDi.

Many thanks
I will examine throttle pedal asap and report back

Hi everybody
A belated update . I have changed the thottle pedal and the problem has improved although I still feel that the engine is not as smooth at part throttle as I might expect , maybe I will just have to live with it . On rare occasions the engine will stop at junctions?, restart no problem.
puzzle no.2 , when starting from cold, I have a short flattish drive of about half mile then a steep hill . in 4th gear foot down on throttle -after a further quarter mile uphill engine light comes on with an engine hesitation, then it seems normal running? . this only happens from cold start, same journey with warm engine is fine.
error code is P1160
I have lexia and am trying to navigate its fuctions
could anyone point to tests with lexia that may help
many thanks to eveyone who replied to my previous post
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

scothern wrote:Hi everybody
A belated update . I have changed the thottle pedal and the problem has improved although I still feel that the engine is not as smooth at part throttle as I might expect , maybe I will just have to live with it .

Hi scothern, thank you for the update. Its good to hear what works and what doesn't.

scothern wrote:error code is P1160
I have lexia and am trying to navigate its fuctions
Lexia gives you a description for P1160, can you take a screen shot of the P1160 fault screen from lexia and attach it to your post?

to screen grab in windows, press ALT while pressing Prt Sc, then select 'paste' from paint or any other image program. You can save as a jpg or jpeg from there for attaching.

scothern wrote:On rare occasions the engine will stop at junctions?,
This shouldn't happen, lexia can help with this.

scothern wrote:I have lexia and am trying to navigate its fuctions
could anyone point to tests with lexia that may help
Get to the fault displays, then select one for the faults and lexia can often give you some tests to do or some checks to make to diagnose the fault.

I will try and get some screen shots together to demonstrate.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

C3CAR wrote:Get to the fault displays, then select one for the faults and lexia can often give you some tests to do or some checks to make to diagnose the fault.

I will try and get some screen shots together to demonstrate.
This video demonstrates that some faults have extra tests that lexia 3 can advise on carrying out to further diagnose the fault.

My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

scothern wrote: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:50 pm 1.4 Hdi 16v . When at part throttle at low speeds the engine seems to hesitate or jerk , this improves at higher revs.
Clean the Mass airflow sensor with some of this.

You can do this by removing the inlet pipe to the MAF, remove the 3 torx screws that attach the MAF and unplug the electrical connector. Spray that MAF cleaner over the internal MAF components to clean it. Reassemble after cleaning and then test drive :)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)