Head Gasket Blown

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: RC3D

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Rhythm
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

As you know I took the engine out of the car and took the cylinder head off to investigate the oil leak and then found out that the problem was the Turbo. I then put it back together with a new Head Gasket and new Head Bolts and tightened the bolts according to the Haynes manual, finally tightening with Angle torque tool.

I noticed recently there was an increase in vibration from the engine and eventually while I was driving car suddenly lost power when I stopped the radiator reservoir was empty, then when I filled up the reservoir and ran the engine the steam was coming out. Now the engine won’t start due to hydraulic lock. I know the Head Gasket has gone, I have yet to investigate the problem.

Before looking at the problem I was wondering what the problem could be
A) Head Gasket might be cracked
B) Head Bolts might be broken
It is hard to believe the above would have happened, given that the above items were new and tightened to the correct torque

C) Cracked Cylinder head – again I thought that these days they are built withstand a lot pressure.

I’m going to get the car onto the axle stand again but my concern is the cost. I am a little trapped as I have spent quite a lot of money on the car; virtually new injectors costing £400, new Starter Motor etc. I want to avoid spending more money but I want to get the car running again.

If it is just new Head Gasket or bolts it is not too expensive, but I don’t want to put the car back together to find out that the Cylinder Head was cracked anyway. Is it expensive to get the Cylinder Head checked for cracks?

My other option is to change the engine, I saw https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261312414067 on ebay, the guy hasn’t got good feedback, initially he told me that he will sell it for £60, a couple of days later he changed his and told me that it will be £70. He told me the mileage is 96,000 but he has not got any paper work to prove it, he also told me that he can’t give any guarantee with the engine. He says that the engine was working before taking it apart.

What should I do? Any advice please. If you know of any other engine for similar price please let me know.
My Name: brokenglowplug

Contributor
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 160000
Trim Level: Touch

Totally go for a new engine. Judging by what you have said your original engine is completely goosed.
Try and look for one that has come from an accident damaged write off then at least you will know that it was working when crashed. I wonder why you thought it necessary to remove the head in the first place for what sounds like a small oil leak.
Additives like STP engine leak stopper do work up to a point and can be very effective for small leaks.
The bottom line is i think your flogging a dead horse to continue with your twice failed lump.
My wife got told she needed to lift the head on her 1.4 16v Hdi C3 to remove a couple of broken glowplugs. Horrendous. Freeborn Citroen in Winchester Quoted £512.19 just for the spares. In the end we found a guy that does it witout taking the head off much cheaper on ebay as an "alternative repair" worked a treat.
My Name: brokenglowplug

Contributor
Year: 2004 (04)
Mileage: 160000
Trim Level: Touch

£80 for that engine is hilariously cheap. 99.1% feedback rating is also pretty good for someone with over 500 sales on ebay. I dont know what your worried about. The worst thing that could happen would be that the engine was previously owned by a weird perfectionist who would take it apart regularly just to check that everything was ok.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

I noticed recently there was an increase in vibration from the engine and eventually while I was driving car suddenly lost power when I stopped the radiator reservoir was empty, then when I filled up the reservoir and ran the engine the steam was coming out. Now the engine won’t start due to hydraulic lock. I know the Head Gasket has gone, I have yet to investigate the problem.
That's terrible news. All that hard work with the turbo, only for the head gasket to fail :(

Could the head or block faces needed a bit more cleaning before reassembly?

I did a head gasket on a Citroen BX Diesel (DTR Turbo) many years ago and it was advised to have the head 'skimmed' before reassembly. A slightly thicker head gasket was available to make up for the missing material. The skim was to remove any variance in the flatness that had occurred over the 100 000+ miles the engine had driven and it also provided a very clean face to the gasket. I don't know if it applies to the C3 engine too.

There is a head skimming service here - on ebay, GU9/GU10 area, with some photos of nice shiny skimmed heads. They also do a pressure test service to check for cracks :)

I have yet to investigate the problem.
a 'post-mortem' :(

I would be interesting to hear your findings.
C) Cracked Cylinder head – again I thought that these days they are built withstand a lot pressure.
or maybe just warped? but only a disassembly will tell you.
Is it expensive to get the Cylinder Head checked for cracks?
You will need to find a local firm as the cost of transporting the head is your biggest problem. You can do a visual inspection yourself and a check for warp isn't too difficult.
he also told me that he can’t give any guarantee with the engine.
This is quite common on second hand ebay bits, its the feed back % and then read the actual feedback messages to get an idea on what he is like as a seller. There is a fair bit of 'bad seller feedback' which is just buyers trying it on, not reading the auction, expecting more than the auction offers or are just plain stupid.

brokenglowplug wrote:Try and look for one that has come from an accident damaged write off then at least you will know that it was working when crashed.
Like a nice rear ender or a C3 crushed by a tree in the storms. Try local vehicle recyclers as well as the national ones, not forgetting the ever useful ebay.

Experienced Member

Thanks for your advice, I'm starting the work today, i'll let you know how i get on.

Experienced Member

got the replacement engine form ebay, rebuilt everything, I'm back on the road. Not opened up the original engine yet to diagnose the problem, probably leave it until spring/summer next year. no point in getting frozen to death in this weather.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

I'm back on the road.
That's great news, well done!
no point in getting frozen to death in this weather.
Agreed :D , it would be good to know what went wrong, and you will have all those bits from the broken engine to sell on ebay...