hdi 1.4 8v year 52 (98000 miles) Lacks Power

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: groundhog2378

Experienced Member

hi what is the resonator is it another word for air mass sensor because i got a new one of them,,if its not could you tell me what it is and were to find it,,i spent about £500 on my citroen c3 hdi 1.4 8v year 52 (98000 miles)and still have problems so might as well get it all done.my machanic said i need egr valve done and fuel filter ,had fuel injectors done and cam belt crank pully engine mount and servise ,but i have big loss in power no fault codes,and sometimes it wont go into first and second gear without a good force..it losses power when i slow down at a junction and i have to put it in first to get up small hills bacause i got my foot to the floor and it just wont pull.,please help me ,i like my little car when he works.
Corkish wrote:Hi Ken,

This seems to be a fairly common problem on this engine. If you 'google' it you will see what I mean.

mine picks up and pulls like a train from about 1200rpm in any gear and revs cleanly to about 4500. I believe peak torque for this engine is 1750 rpm.

The electrovalve that controls the turbo is located on the back of the engine.

If you follow the vacuum pipe from the the turbo vane actuator you will find it.

I had to remove the complete air filter assembly to get to it. As you look at the engine it is on the rear left of the engine. (There are two and I believe they are identical.)

Since changing mine it is like having a new car.

A further issue I had was with the resonator where it connects to the turbo. The o ring blew and as it was on the high pressure side it caused an intermittent loss of boost.

Hope this helps.

regards

Chris
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

(resonator) is it another word for air mass sensor
NO, the mass air sensor (MAF) measures the quantity and temperature of the air entering the inlet side of the engine.
could you tell me what it is and were to find it,
The resonator connection that the quote refers to, is at the front of the engine and is connected to the turbo high pressure side.
my machanic said i need egr valve done and fuel filter
A fuel filter is part of the service schedule and should be done to prevent problems (protect the fuel injection system). If your mechanic says it needs changing, then change it. Same for the EGR valve.

This is a fuel filter for the 8v 52 plate Citroen C3 Diesel

Fuel filter for CITROEN C3 2002/2 1.4 HDi Diesel Hatchback

This is the EGR valve (although you may have a different one fitted, double check first)

This is the other type of EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve you may find on a Citroen C3 HDi

Citroen C3 1.4D HDi Turbo Diesel (2002-) EGR Valve

my citroen c3 hdi 1.4 8v year 52 (98000 miles)
You may also like to read this for when you get the knocking sound.
knocking sound from the engine area of a Citroen C3

and sometimes it wont go into first and second gear without a good force.
Could be a gearbox problem. possibly an idle speed problem. It would be worth checking the idle speed and gearbox oil.
You should tell your mechanic about the gear changing problem. Try to remember if its early in the morning or after a long run, after one journey and recently starting off on a new one as this may help to identify the problem area.

i have to put it in first to get up small hills bacause i got my foot to the floor and it just wont pull
The post you quoted refers to the 16v version of the HDi engine with the variable vane turbo and the turbo electrovalve which can cause loss of power when its faulty.

You have an 8v engine and you won't have the turbo electrovalve.

But your mechanic has identified a faulty EGR valve. You can discuss with them the options to fix it.

i like my little car when he works
I agree, they are great little cars when everything is gong well :)

If you need parts, try Euro Car Parts who have most of the C3 parts in stock for delivery at a very reasonable price.

Experienced Member

hi thanks every one ,my machanic dont seem to know he keeps guessing,i will get egr valve done and see if that works,also i found gsf is very good and cheap for parts.
thanks again.
My Name: Hans Zarkov

Top Contributor
Year: 2004 (04)
Mileage: 120000

Hi Groundhog,

I've just serviced my EGR valve on my 16v HDI, it was supprisingly easy (and very dirty, but best not tackled by a none mechanically mided person), though I don't know how different the 8v is.. Once I removed the valve, it was successfully cleaned using a £7 can of EGR valve cleaner. My C3's poor acceleration has now gone !

When I first got the car, it kept indicating an engine fault, which dissapeared intermittantly. My local garage read the code history and said 'EGR Fault'. I was puzzled by this, as the car was performing fine, except for the fault code, and that there were no sensors on the EGR valve on this car. This fault was fixed, and has not returned, by me changing the fuel filter (this was after me changing everything else in the EGR system including the electrovalves, none of which fixed the problem)

I also had difficulty in selecting 3rd gear - I solved this by changing the gear oil each week for about a month. The initial oil change was really black and dirty, and not enough for the gearbox.
I found a small oil leak in the left driveshaft seal, which I changed.
Also bear in ming that Citroens and Peugeots use special grade gear oil. Using normal oil will make gear selection difficult until the box is warm.

Regards, HZ

Experienced Member

groundhog2378 wrote:hi thanks every one ,my machanic dont seem to know he keeps guessing,i will get egr valve done and see if that works,also i found gsf is very good and cheap for parts.
thanks again.
had new egr valve ,its still the same
please help

Experienced Member

hi the machnic brought car back again today,he says the belt was slightly out and the fuel pump was out by 90 digrees
so he has put it right.
but it is still the same,runs ok on flat ,a bit slow but not to bad ,but as soon as you get to a hill its takes long time to get to 35 mph with foot to the floor.
any ideas ,i dont have any managment lights on .
i had fuel injectors cleaned ,not replaced would this make it run slow if they were damaged.
or could it be in limp mode because the belt wasnt right.
my car sound like a black cab very noisey for a diesel.
its only a 1.4.
i was thinking of taking it to citroen dealers tomorrow ,any idea how much they will charge just to find out whats wrong with it.
please help any advise would be great :cry:
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

hi the machnic brought car back again today,he says the belt was slightly out and the fuel pump was out by 90 digrees
so he has put it right.
That's worrying, if the mechanic who fitted the timing belt could get the job so wrong, what damage has been done to the engine.

Do you have any confidence that the belt is correctly fitted now?

i had fuel injectors cleaned ,not replaced would this make it run slow if they were damaged
Obviously damaged fuel injectors would make the car run poorly, or not at all. If the same person that fitted the timing belt also touched the injectors, expect the injectors to be damaged. The injectors are very delicate, need to go back into the cylinder they were removed from (don't remove all of them without identifying which cylinder they came from) to preserve the injector coding.

You can get the injectors tested before you replace them.

my car sound like a black cab very noisey for a diesel.
There are many noises that the engine can make, each caused by different faults.

This video clip demonstrates the chuffing noise

and this forum post has a youtube of a different sound:
loud ticking sound from the engine

Was the belt replaced because it snapped? if so, are the valves still sealing correctly?

any idea how much they will charge just to find out whats wrong with it.
Quite probably, more than the car is worth.

Experienced Member

hi thanks for replys ,i called the mechanic because i could hear a cuffing sound and my car smelt of fumes,so i asked him to look at it and i told him its the fuel injectors ,
he told me it was the timming belt,so he replaced it and the water pump,
then he brought the car back and said your right it is the fuel injectors,so he took the car back and did them and a few other bits crank pully engin mount.

then he brought car back the engine sounded like a truck very noisey but the chuffin had gone,
i still get fumes in the car.
took it for a drive and it wasnt runing right bad loss of power ,
so i rang him he took the car and did a diognostics from a man in a van,
he gave me a little bit of paper that said air mass sensor,
so i bought one put it in and nothing changed ,car still same no power
so i rang again,
he said it needs to be reset on the diognosic machine,so he took it back said he did it,
then he brought it back its still the same.
so i rang him,told him,he said he thinks it might be egr valve,
so i got one fitted brand new,
still the same,
took the car on moter way for a burn and the belt was screeming
so rang him told him to sort it,
he said he put it right,
but its still the same ,he said i will have to pay for diognostics again £40
so i think i have learnt the hard way and decided never to see this machanic with 30 years experance
and i booked it in with citroen on thursday.
i will let you all know how i get on.
sorry for spelling errors and rambling on i just a bit stressed with it as my car was runing ok before i took it to this man.
and i paid him £700 for part and labour i didnt need.
thanks for reading replys would be great,as you can tell i need all the help i can get.
My Name: Hans Zarkov

Top Contributor
Year: 2004 (04)
Mileage: 120000

groundhog2378 wrote:the fuel pump was out by 90 digrees
so he has put it right
I'd seriously think about suing the mechanic for fraud (or the like) - modern common-rail diesel engines (like yours) have a fuel pump to supply a constant fuel pressure to the rail - it doesn't need timing in.

The electrovalves on the back of the injectors control the fuel to the piston.

Old diesel engines had four outputs from the pump, one to each injector, these needed timing to match the crank and the camshaft. On your engine, there is only one pipe from the pump supplying the common-rail. The common-rail is a high-pressure tank of fuel which feeds the injectors.

John

Experienced Member

thanks for replying ,i wont be using him again ,
i had a diognostic done ,he said he thinks i got a clogged cat ,will it be a good idea to try cat cleaner.
the kind you poor in to the fuel ...let me know
thankyou