hdi 1.4 8v year 52 (98000 miles) Lacks Power

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

A catalytic converter cleaner (for diesel cats) like Cataclean (available here) has been shown to clean a clogged cat, but it won't work miracles.

You have £13.40 to loose if it doesn't fix your problem or make a big enough improvement in performance that you end up changing the Citroen C3 1.4 Diesel Catalytic Converter (with one from eBay?) anyway (£92+fitting).

Its your choice, based on how you feel about spending more money on the car. I do hope the guy that looked at the car this time is honest. A clogged cat, a choked exhaust silencer or any part of the exhaust system being restricted can give performance problems.

Some useful tips for 'using cataclean on your C3'
https://www.systemproducts.com/faq.html wrote: How do I maximize the results of Cataclean?
Follow these simple instructions:
1. Make certain that you have ¼ of a tank of fuel in your tank (3-4 gallons)
2. Allow vehicle to reach full temperature before introducing Cataclean.
3. Pour entire contents (16.7 oz) of Cataclean into the fuel tank.
4. Drive vehicle for 10 -15 miles
My Name: groundhog2378

Experienced Member

hi all,
i put cataclean in and took my car for a good hour drive around the town , then went down the moterway got it up to a maximum speed of 75mph
smell strong fumes and still having the same problems,
it chugs a lot in 3rd gear.
had to go from 2nd gear to 1st gear to get up a small hill.
going on flat or down hill is fine in any gear it drives lovely
but even the slightest up hill is bad with foot to the floor with bad lack of power.
forgot to say when the car gets to 50mph and above i can her random squeeking dont know what it is ,it might be nothing but i dont ever hear it under 50mph.
so please anyone help me what shall i do now.
My Name: Hans Zarkov

Top Contributor
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 120000
Trim Level: Exclusive

Hi Groundhog,

You say you had a new EGR valve fitted.. was it by the same mechanic that said the fuel pump was out by 90 degrees ?

Cleaning the EGR valve is easy, and makes it look like new too, but if it is not thoroughly cleaned on the inside, it will still behave the same.

I'm not saying it is defo the EGR valve that is causing your problems, but most other systems have a fault sensor.

I mentioned in an erlier post that my C3 reported an EGR fault when it was in fact the fuel filter. When I did find a fault with the EGR valve, (from lack of power at tlimes), there was no fault reported !

One thing that could cause your EGR circuit to fail (without causing a error message) is a leaking vacuum pipe - the actuators may still be doing their bit, but not enough vacuum to open the vanes in the turbo, or open the EGR valve etc. I have found in the engine bay of my little car numerous rubbing points (all of which rattled), all now fastend down. It may be worth examining the black pipe yourself to look for holes, leading from the vacuum pump on the right hand side of the engine, past the battery, and on to the brake servo cylinder, and on. Thinking about it, if there was a leak in the vacuum circuit, then you may be experiencing a drop-off in braking force, (but you probably wouldn't notice cos you are obviously a good driver and are never in a position to require much braking)

:)

Regards,

John
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

From your previous posts,
groundhog2378 wrote:i still get fumes in the car.
groundhog2378 wrote:took it for a drive and it wasnt runing right bad loss of power ,
and a new, hopefully improved mechanic suggests:
groundhog2378 wrote:i had a diognostic done ,he said he thinks i got a clogged cat
Fumes in the car could be exhaust fumes not getting through the catalytic converter and finding their way into the engine bay,
Loss of power, can be caused my many things, including a blocked cat or any part of the exhaust system being blocked,
The new improved mechanic suggests the cat is blocked, which it could well be.

You are going to have to get the cat off to test it. See if you can blow plenty of air through it with very little resistance, or just change it.

The cat is up the front of the car, just after the turbo and looks like this:
Citroen C3 HDi catalytic converter (TR PSA K528) (1738 05)
Citroen C3 HDi catalytic converter (TR PSA K528) (1738 05)
Here is a picture of the catalytic converter from below:
Catalytic Converter fitted to a citroen C3 HDi Diesel - view from under the car looking up to the bonnet.
Catalytic Converter fitted to a citroen C3 HDi Diesel - view from under the car looking up to the bonnet.

Experienced Member

hi thanks for the cat info,
i took the cat off it had lots soot in it.
took it for a quick run with the cat off ,
still the same no power when going up hills
have got foot to the floor still.
any ideas
please help me its been months with this lack of power problem.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

I read that the EGR valve had been changed, but by a now untrusted person. If you are having EGR valve or EGR solenoid trouble, a quick and dirty way to test/cure the problem is by blanking off the EGR return path. Low power could easily be caused by a leaking EGR return path, and cleaning the valve may fix the issue, although if the vacuum part is damaged, the blanking off job won't fix it for a 16v version, but could well fix the 8v version.

The part required to block off the EGR return path is this: C3 EGR blanking plate and costs an affordable £3.50

The part is inserted between the EGR valve and the ERG mounting point after slackening the 2 EGR bolts slightly, you don't even have to remove the EGR valve, which can be a bit fiddly to refit the 2 bolts without loosing the shim/gasket. You also don't need to remove the factory clamp which clamps the EGR valve to the long steel inlet pipe, so its win/win.

The part is exactly the part that snowie mentions in a previous post on this topic that got him out of a sticky situation. Maybe the EGR blanking plate should be kept in every diesel C3 owners glovebox :lol: :lol:

There is a post here: which has some pictures of the clip, EGR valve, that long steel inlet pipe and some EGR cleaning instructions.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Experienced Member

hi ,i just wanted to let you know i had a brand new egr valve fitted ,
and it was fitted by a differnt machanic my new guy who is great.
i hope when i put the new cat on my problems will be over.
the diognostics guy said thats what he thinks it is because he cant find any faults.
i will let you know next week when its sorted.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

groundhog2378 wrote:took it for a quick run with the cat off ,
still the same no power when going up hills
So, from what you say, having no cat (no blocked cat) fitted still gives the same lack of power.
From this, it can be seen that a blocked cat is not the problem, because you still have the fault and the catalytic converter is not even on the car.
groundhog2378 wrote:i hope when i put the new cat on my problems will be over.
I thought removing the catalytic converter and running the car without it fitted was your test to prove or disprove the cat.

It seems from your results that the catalytic converter being blocked is not the fault, or any of the exhaust system after the cat as this was not being used by the engine when you had the car running with the catalytic converter removed.
(I presume you just removed the cat and then drove the car).

I think a new catalytic converter is not going to fix this, but I am happy to be proved wrong :D

I would like to know which diagnostic equipment is being used to lead the diagnostics guy to give the message:
groundhog2378 wrote:he thinks it is because he cant find any faults
Its unusual, especially for a car that's running as badly as yours to come up with 'no faults' in the ECU/BSI. Cars that run well, of that age often have some codes stored.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Experienced Member

hi again everyone.
so i drove it with no cat on and i still have the same problems,
it also chuggs a lot in 3rd gear so i have to gear down to 2nd gear on flat.
this shouldnt happen.
this happens with the cat and without it on.
The diognostic man said it had air flow problems the first time so he told me to get air mass sensor,
so i took back the new one and got refund for it being faulty.
so now with a brand new £80 air mass sensor its still the same.
Then he said he cant find nothing i still have air flow problems ,so it might be the cat he says.
well it cant be.
i have ordered a new one anyway,
because i have put everything else on new so why stop now right lol.
i will let you all know in the week when i fit the new one if it makes any differance.
is there anyone out there in the world that can just say hay i know whats wrong with your car its ,,,,,,,,, so i can get this flipping car runing ok again.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

Hi groundhog2378
groundhog2378 wrote:so now with a brand new £80 air mass sensor its still the same
A mass air flow sensor isn't going to have such a massive effect on performance, it only sends a signal to the ECU to alter injection timing. The Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) don't get clogged up blocking airflow.

Going back to the beginning.....
groundhog2378 wrote:i only got the loss of power after my cam belt was done
This make me think that there is an ongoing issue with the cam belt, in particular cam timing.
I would check all the timing marks all line up exactly as they should. But even if they do, assuming the engine is an interference engine design, damage may have been done to the valves.

and
groundhog2378 wrote:smell strong fumes
Can you identify the smell of the fumes? Is it unburnt diesel, or exhaust fumes or burning plastic or something else.
Is the smell coming through the vents? can you smell it in the engine bay. It would be helpful to pinpoint the fumes.

and
groundhog2378 wrote:sound like a black cab
Like a tappety, top end sound. Coming from the top of the engine, like a camshaft and followers. Worth checking the cam timing and the camshaft lobes.

If only....
groundhog2378 wrote:is there anyone out there in the world that can just say hay i know whats wrong with your car its
This does happen with all those common faults, you can find some on this forum, but this one looks like its a bit special and all connected to someone changing the cam belt. You need someone who knows what they are doing to spend time on the car armed with all the facts, unfortunately this can be expensive.