has a strange ticking noise when the engine is warm

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: tomluckylucy

Hi there, I bouught a brand new C3 16hdi 110 exclusive in May and it has a strange ticking noise. When the engine is warm, when you accelerate in 2nd gear then take your foot off it makes a constant ticking noise similar to when you hold a stick to a spinning bicycle wheel. has anyone any idea what it might be. Many thanks.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hello there tomluckylucy,

I would be looking at something like the inlet manifold, if its coming from the engine.

But being brand new, I wouldn't even lift the bonnet and get it straight back to citroen as its only 6 months old and still under warranty.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

I did just that. Took it back within a couple of days, told them the fault, they drove it heard the noise, couldn't find anything. They told me to drive it for 1000 miles to see if it settled down, then bring it back. I took it back, they have had the car 9 weeks in the garage. They have changed and reset the injectors, had 2 visits from their top engineers, then rang me this morning and said the car was ready to pick up. Brilliant. Now they say there is nothing wrong with the car, it's meant to be like that. When I said othere Citroens with that engine don't make that sound, their answer was some do , some don't.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Oh, I see.

Its difficult to diagnose a sound without actually hearing it and hearing where it comes from on the car (top/bottom/front/back etc), one persons clicking is anothers' ticking.

Having several Citroen ears and eyes look and listen with no diagnosis is rather worrying.

Your other option is contacting Citroen (rather than the Citroen dealer), but I guess that where the "experts" were dispatched from?

If it is the engine making the noise (rather than say, the gearbox) you have lots of very similar engines fitted to many other makes of car. The 1.6 Citroen HDi engine is also the Ford DLD engine found in "Ford, Mazda, Volvo, (BMW) Mini, Peugeot and Citroën".

On a different note,

I looks like yours has the DPF / FAP that needs a special "low SAP" engine oil. Something to bear in mind for future oil changes and top-ups.

You need to only use this specific Total Quartz INEO ECS 5W/30 to protect the FAP/DPF and save an expensive repair. The INEO oil is low SAPS (sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulfur) which could otherwise damage the FAP/DPF.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Thank you. Have asked them to put the noise diagnosis in writing, then we'll know how probable it sounds.