Hairdryer noise from under bonnet

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: Noisygiraffe

Contributor
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2009 (09)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 53000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hi, first post.

My car (2009 1.4 diesel) has started making this loud hairdryer noise recently but only when either the AC or the heater (only on full heat) is turned on. The air coming out of the blowers is still the right temperature, so either nice and cold, or nice and warm. The noise doesn't happen if the blowers are on but the temp is set to cool/cold without the AC on.

The noise is quite loud, and can be heard clearly over the engine noise. It takes about 30 seconds or so to kick in after the AC or heater is turned on, and lasts for roughly the same after its turned off.

It's been happening for a few weeks and I've just made do with keeping the window open, but it's been a bit uncomfortable with the hot weather recently!

Any ideas what I might be dealing with here? Trying to gauge how big a repair bill I could be faced with.

Thanks!
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Noisygiraffe wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:19 pm Hi, first post.

My car (2009 1.4 diesel) has started making this loud hairdryer noise recently but only when either the AC or the heater (only on full heat) is turned on. The air coming out of the blowers is still the right temperature, so either nice and cold, or nice and warm. The noise doesn't happen if the blowers are on but the temp is set to cool/cold without the AC on.

The noise is quite loud, and can be heard clearly over the engine noise. It takes about 30 seconds or so to kick in after the AC or heater is turned on, and lasts for roughly the same after its turned off.

It's been happening for a few weeks and I've just made do with keeping the window open, but it's been a bit uncomfortable with the hot weather recently!

Any ideas what I might be dealing with here? Trying to gauge how big a repair bill I could be faced with.

Thanks!

Hello,

Can you open the bonnet and record a video to capture the sound you hear. Then upload you YouTube and share the link here.

That way more people can hear the sound you are getting.

Contributor

No problem, here it is: https://youtu.be/zq7xQ7hdV4g

The noise kicked in a little sooner on this video because I'd already turned the AC off and on a couple of times.

It sounded like it's coming from this area just behind the radiator.

Today it isn't making the noise when the heater is on full, but it did when I first noticed the noise and tested all options to see what made it kick in.

Hope this helps.

Guru

That sounds like the engine cooling fan on full speed.

Its just behind the radiator and can be seen form the engine with the bonnet up.

Have a look at the fan starting when the noise starts to confirm if it is actually the cooling fan.

Ask for another pair of hands to help and keep fingers etc clear of the fan. It can start without warning.

Contributor

I've just had another look. When the car is running but the AC is off the fan isn't moving. The fan starts as soon as the AC is turned on but then there's the delay before the noise kicks in. It feels like that's where the noise is coming from though.

Guru

This is not uncommon. I wouldn't worry about it with an old car.

You will probably end up chasing around the cooling fan, changing it and spending money.

Contributor

Ok, so it's fine to leave it as it is, continue using the AC and just ignore the noise?

Happy to learn to live with it, I was just hesitant to use it incase I was damaging something!

Guru

Noisygiraffe wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:26 pm Ok, so it's fine to leave it as it is, continue using the AC and just ignore the noise?

Happy to learn to live with it, I was just hesitant to use it incase I was damaging something!
I would say it's OK to keep using it.

There is a fault there, but not a mechanical one that gets worse. You may even find it sorts itself out.

Contributor

Excellent, thanks for your help!
My Name: Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

There are a number of different radiator cooling fans used on C3's. The radiator fan is what is making the noise BTW.
Some cars have a singe speed, some have 2 speeds, some have an electronic variable speed. I have no idea how Citroen choose what fan goes on what car.
If you have air conditioning on your car (that works), the radiator fan doubles up as a cooling fan for the condenser. The condenser gets hot when you use your air con.
I can't see any devices on your fan shroud to tell me it's a variable speed fan, so I'm not surprised that it's running flat out. If its hot at the moment (it's cold ATM where I am LOL) the air con load will cause the fan to run at high speed. If the load on the air con is low (a cool day) the fan may not run at all.
If you are in "stop-start" traffic on a hot day and you do not have the air con on, you may hear the cooling fan running on and off to cool the radiator.
So, it all looks fine to me.