Glow plugs and Engine Warning light on... but glow plug light goes off after long drive

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: LastBaronW

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2005 (55)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 220000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: Yes
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 diesel (70 PS)

Hello, this is my maiden post here. I recently bought a 2005 C3 'SE' with a 1.4 HDI engine. When I purchased it, I was told that the glow plug light sometimes stayed on a long time (true) and 'not to worry about it, it's always done that.' The engine warning light came on a few days after I bought the car and it went into limp mode, which does away again once the glow plug light goes off and everything is normal except the engine warning light stays on. Any advice? What could this be? I am thinking of buying an analyser/diagnostic tool to reset it and find out what codes come up, but would it be better to take it to a garage? Thanks for your help! >> >>
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
DPF: No
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

LastBaronW wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:18 am Hello, this is my maiden post here. I recently bought a 2005 C3 'SE' with a 1.4 HDI engine. When I purchased it, I was told that the glow plug light sometimes stayed on a long time (true) and 'not to worry about it, it's always done that.' The engine warning light came on a few days after I bought the car and it went into limp mode, which does away again once the glow plug light goes off and everything is normal except the engine warning light stays on. Any advice? What could this be? I am thinking of buying an analyser/diagnostic tool to reset it and find out what codes come up, but would it be better to take it to a garage? Thanks for your help! >> >>
Welcome to the forum LastBaronW

Yes, the glow plug (post heater light) in not much to worry about. Its not right, they don't usually do that, but it doesn't affect the engine and sorting it out may be a hassle.

If you have the MIL (engine light) on and you are in limp mode, this is probably not going to be the glow plugs (post heaters), and the best diagnostic tool is the Citroen one, you can find out about Lexia tool for C3 diagnostics here. Much more than just an OBD2 reader and much more useful for the C3 as it can do what the dealers can do. (But it is a lomg journey to set-up).
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Are you sure it is the 16v?

Can you post a picture of your engine next time the bonnet is up :D

>> So thanks for the answers. A few months and miles later, I have more details to report to help with a possible diagnosis. Always full power in 1st and 2nd. After shifting into 3rd limp mode comes on if I accelerate sharply and reach about 60mph or more. Then limp mode lasts until I stop somewhere for a few minutes or longer. The coolant temp never rises above 3 bars, fuel usage is very low, and when not in limp mode full acceleration is fine, although there is a loud whine from the front right of the engine and a large black hose appears to have been mended with duct tape... I've just ordered a diagnostic tool (as suggested). I'm up to 230K miles, reliable, no trouble other than the aforementioned and a probable loose shock mount front right (clunking over bumps). The only other problem so far? Horn has failed after driving through a deep puddle. Any further advice appreciated; also any good hints as to a good but cheap repair place near St Neots, Bedford or Peterborough. Thanks for reading!
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

LastBaronW wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:05 pm . I've just ordered a diagnostic tool (as suggested).
Lexia will tell what is bringing on the engine management light (MIL)
LastBaronW wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:05 pm there is a loud whine from the front right of the engine and a large black hose appears to have been mended with duct tape..
You should make sure the hose is doing its job. Air leaks may cause problems, depending where it is located.

>>