Fuel filter heater won't fit new identical filter

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: egank

C3 2005 hatchback 1.4 Hdi 8 valve engine - DV4TD 8HZ.
Removed fuel filter (mecafilter ELC 5242) from car as per manufacturers instructions (C3 1.4 Hdi 8 valve engine - DV4TD 8HZ). Removed fuel heater from 'old' filter and transfered to 'new' filter (identical ELC 5242). Heater entered orifice but appeared too long and threads of heater wouldn't engage in threads on filter body. On measuring old filter depth, orifice was 95mm but depth on new filter was only 68mm. I've been told that I need to use FORCE to punch through the bottom of the orifice, but don't want to damage the new filter. Please advise. Thankyou
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

It sounds like its a multi fit type of filter, so its sealed if no fuel heater is fitted, but needs to be punched through to take the fuel heater.

This way the same filter will fit cars with and without a fuel heater.

Try punching through with a screwdriver. Rest the tip of the screwdriver in the hole, as far as it will go, then a tap on the screwdriver with a hammer, don't go mad.

either that, or you are trying to fit the heater to the wrong hole?
My Name: egank

Thanks for your reply. I will confirm with my local dealer and post their comments.
My Name: groundhog2378

Experienced Member

hi i have the same problem ,did you have to punch a hole ,
what did citroen say.
help needed thanks
My Name: groundhog2378

Experienced Member

egank wrote:C3 2005 hatchback 1.4 Hdi 8 valve engine - DV4TD 8HZ.
Removed fuel filter (mecafilter ELC 5242) from car as per manufacturers instructions (C3 1.4 Hdi 8 valve engine - DV4TD 8HZ). Removed fuel heater from 'old' filter and transfered to 'new' filter (identical ELC 5242). Heater entered orifice but appeared too long and threads of heater wouldn't engage in threads on filter body. On measuring old filter depth, orifice was 95mm but depth on new filter was only 68mm. I've been told that I need to use FORCE to punch through the bottom of the orifice, but don't want to damage the new filter. Please advise. Thankyou
...i had the same problem citroen do it so you have to buy a new pre heater at extra cost so take it back and buy it somewere else with a built in pre heater its a lot cheaper and will fit purfect.