Error code P20E9 00 - Urea (AdBlue) injection pressure?

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: hytron

Model: C3 2013-2017 Facelift A51
Year: 2015 (65)
Engine Size: 1.6
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 85000
Trim Level: First
Gearbox: Manual 6 speed
DPF: Yes
LHD or RHD: LHD (Europe)
Engine name: BlueHDi (75 PS)

Hello,

About a week ago on my brother's car 2015 Citroen C3 1.6 Diesel with 135000km (85000 miles) check-engine, Urea and Service lights have illuminated. After taking it to a authorized Citroen dealer, they have told him that the code P20E9 is present in the ECM and that it would cost 1100 Euros to fix the problem. Apparently the problem is in the Urea injection tank (DEF tank) and the entire tank has to be replaced. He has also been told that this is common problem on these cars.

According to their diagnostic papers parameters associated with the code P20E9 are:

Engine RPM: 943
Outside Temp: 4 Degrees Centigrade
Urea Pressure: 5.4 bar

I am uncertain if the DEF pressure is correct and it is suppose to be around 5 bar? Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Darko
My Name: Missing Lincs

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hello Darko

Folks in the UK are more likely to know Urea fuel additive as AdBlue.

Just thought I'd throw that in in case anyone was wondering :D
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

Missing Lincs,

Thank you for the correction! That is right, I totally didnt think when I posted the question. Is it possible to change the subject from Urea to AdBlue?

Thanks,

Darko
My Name: Missing Lincs

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

hytron wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:06 amIs it possible to change the subject from Urea to AdBlue?
I think it will be fine as it is, your heading might even generate more response than AdBlue :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:
My Name: routemaster1

C3 Master
Model: C3 2017-on. The new C3
Year: 2019 (19)
Engine Size: 1.2
Mileage: 300
Trim Level: Flair
Engine name: EB2DT-EB2ADT PureTech 3-Cylinder (110 PS)

I don't know about the particular fault codes, but there are many threads on several forums concerning the Adblue system. There are some people who have had Adblue issues that have turnedo ut to be exhaust sensor issues, but it appears that this fault code points to failure of the Adblue pump. If this is so, then, up to now, the only remedy is a whole new tank as the pump isn't available separately. If you do need a new tank then the bill will be upwards of £1000. I don't know if anyone other than Citroen agents will be able to do it for you.

I know it is too late for you, but if anyone else out there is reading this with a diesel C3 with Adblue, then I would recommend that you should maintain your Citroen warranty, then use Citroen Extended warranty. You may think ~£250 a year is expensive, but it will give peace of mind if the Adblue system fails. Although it may not help with the inconvenience of having to have the work done. The Adblue issues were a large part of the reason why, when our 2016 C3 HDi Platinum was written off we went for a petrol replacement.

Routemaster1,

Thank you for the reply. The vehicle is 2015 and it is out of warranty so I dont think we can purchase any additional warranty at this point. As far as the code goes, I looked it up and just like what you said it has to do with the higher than normal pressure? What puzzles me is that the diagnostic test shows a pump pressure of 5.4Bar (I am not sure what the normal AdBlue system pressure should be). I have worked on older TDI engines but not the new ones that have AdBlue system I am not very familiar with it. I am wondering what the chances of repair are? Is the pump the one that fails or the pressure regulator? Maybe the pressure sensor is faulty. Any other ideas?

Darko
My Name: pjwilliams

Model: Other
Year: 2015 (15)
Mileage: 80000

This is an issue I am just experiencing, I am getting code P20E9 and P20E8 The car is booked in to a main dealers on Fri 18th. I have just purchased it second hand with a 30 day warranty the garage Not a Citroen dealer, thought it was the PAK oil and refilled and reset the codes, The engine repair, service and UREA light came back on within 100 miles. There are two systems on this car (mine is a grand Picasso 2015) a oil system which creates a chemical reaction with the soot particles in the DPF making the soot burn at a lower tempt and a AdBlue system which injects further down the line. Apparently the usual OBD2 readers cant diagnose which one is faulting. Both are very expensive to replace. I have booked the car into a Main Dealer so they can diagnose which is faulty at £110 I hope they get it right. I will post how I get on. Either way I think this car was sold to the dealers because it had this fault and its looking like a grand to put it right.
Attachments
20220211_172813.jpg
My Name: routemaster1

C3 Master
Model: C3 2017-on. The new C3
Year: 2019 (19)
Engine Size: 1.2
Mileage: 300
Trim Level: Flair
Engine name: EB2DT-EB2ADT PureTech 3-Cylinder (110 PS)

Just to clarify, it is correct that the urea solution used in this system is known as Adblue. Unfortunately, Citroen in their wisdom have chosen to use both in their dashboard warnings. The one which gives yoy the countdown is an Adblue warning, the fault one that appears in the dashboard says Urea. I'm not sure if this applies universally across all Citroen diesel cars, but it certainly appeared on both of mine fitted with an Adblue system.