Engine Temp warning light on MAX

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: ROB66

Any help appreciated. My c3 XTR HDi has developed a fault where the temp guage goes to max from a cold start, and the engine fan cuts in. I had a local garage look at it who replaced the engine temp sensor but this didnt stop the issue.
The car is not overheating it seems to be getting false info from somewhere! All started after car was in for non related fix.
I have coolant fluid at good level, and as have said the sensor has been changed. I have no idea now!
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi ROB66
I have coolant fluid at good level, and as have said the sensor has been changed. I have no idea now!
Check the coolant level sensor is ok, then check the wiring from the level sensor.
My Name: ROB66

C3CAR wrote:Hi ROB66
Check the coolant level sensor is ok, then check the wiring from the level sensor.

Thanks, any advice on testing coolant sensor please?
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

ROB66 wrote:Thanks, any advice on testing coolant sensor please?
Sorry, I don't know how to test it. You will need to find out how it works, then simulate those conditions and measure the output. It looks like the units resistance changes depending if its submerged in coolant or not, so a multimeter would be useful.

The easy way is test by substitution, that is try a known working unit in place of the suspect one, this has its pitfalls though, if there is more than one faulty component.