Engine not starting

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: tomtomKK

Contributor

EDIT: Problem solved, engine running

Changed the small battery inside the car key.

Hi. Just bought a '04 1.4HDI and having a problem already.

I was driving when suddenly front windscreen wipers started by it self and i could not turn them off. Also reversing lights didn't work inside the dash and outside. So i stopped the car and turned off the ignition, after that engine wasn't starting.
I checked the fuses and they were fine.

Thanks for reading my post, hopping for soon replay.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi tomtomKK
tomtomKK wrote:stopped the car and turned off the ignition, after that engine wasn't starting.
Does it turn over? if so it could be immobiliser, try the other key. Could be slow to turn over, bad battery or starter motor, that would inhibit starting. Low fuel pressure due to worn injectors can inhibit starting and the engine still turns over.

If it doesn't turn over, flat battery, faulty starter, bad battery connections, ignition switch.

Take your pick,

tomtomKK wrote:I checked the fuses and they were fine.
Fuses? Would that be the ones in the engine bay? including the ones hidden under the fuse box in the engine bay - those pesky MAXI fuses.
a link to a page with links to all the Citroen C3 fuses

how many miles/kms?

tomtomKK wrote:I was driving when suddenly front windscreen wipers started by it self and i could not turn them off.
Sounds like COM2000 a lexia tool system (topic here) is the best tool for testing switch inputs to the BSI for the wiper fault finding.
My Name: Hans Zarkov

Top Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 120000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

It may be somthing really simple like a bad earth - or poor connections to the battery..

:)
My Name: tomtomKK

Contributor

Does it turn over? if so it could be immobiliser, try the other key. Could be slow to turn over, bad battery or starter motor, that would inhibit starting. Low fuel pressure due to worn injectors can inhibit starting and the engine still turns over.

If it doesn't turn over, flat battery, faulty starter, bad battery connections, ignition switch.

Take your pick,

Fuses? Would that be the ones in the engine bay? including the ones hidden under the fuse box in the engine bay - those pesky MAXI fuses.
a link to the page with links to all the fuses (except maxi)

how many miles/kms?

Mileage: 160K miles
Yes, it turns over. The other key is without immobiliser (i think so, because the one i'm using is "fat" with door lock buttons).
Fuses checked in both places.

Thank's for good advices.