Engine management and ESP light

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: tahart

Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2012 (62)
Engine Size: 1.6
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 6 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hi
I have recently been given a 2012 C3 which has only just been MOT’d.

Today, I found that the engine management light stayed on after starting the car and the ESP light also remained lit. I tried to move the car forward and felt a juddering as it moved off (I only went a few metres).

I manually turned the ESP off and left the car for several minutes; I then turned the car on and switched ESP on. The engine light stayed on but the ESP light remained OFF this time. I drove for a few minutes and the ESP light came on and stayed on - this was accompanied by the juddering sensation.

Is there anything I can do without diagnostics or is there anything that could be causing this?

Thanks very much.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

tahart wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:27 pm Hi
I have recently been given a 2012 C3 which has only just been MOT’d.

Today, I found that the engine management light stayed on after starting the car and the ESP light also remained lit. I tried to move the car forward and felt a juddering as it moved off (I only went a few metres).

I manually turned the ESP off and left the car for several minutes; I then turned the car on and switched ESP on. The engine light stayed on but the ESP light remained OFF this time. I drove for a few minutes and the ESP light came on and stayed on - this was accompanied by the juddering sensation.

Is there anything I can do without diagnostics or is there anything that could be causing this?

Thanks very much.

Hello

I would go for the diagnostic. You have a fault and the diagnostics will help point out which part of the system is at fault.

You can do your own diag with Lexia Diagbox (info here) or it can go to a local mechanic.