Engine idle aux belt slapping noise

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: biorapter2321

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (54)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: NA
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 diesel (70 PS)

I have recently replaced the crankshaft pulley on this engine after it started coming apart and now have this slapping/rattling and squeaking noise which is quite bad at idle, the auxiliary belt also visibly flapping up and down and the noise goes away once you push against the belt so would this probably be a the tensioner failing? It still took some effort to lever it back with a long spanner though it is rapidly springing up and down aswell I was told that was normal.

https://vimeo.com/548164249
I've uploaded a video of it on vimeo if you care to see, the noise is alot louder and nnoticeablein person

My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

biorapter2321 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:39 pm I have recently replaced the crankshaft pulley on this engine after it started coming apart and now have this slapping/rattling and squeaking noise which is quite bad at idle, the auxiliary belt also visibly flapping up and down and the noise goes away once you push against the belt so would this probably be a the tensioner failing? It still took some effort to lever it back with a long spanner though it is rapidly springing up and down aswell I was told that was normal.

https://vimeo.com/548164249
I've uploaded a video of it on vimeo if you care to see, the noise is alot louder and nnoticeablein person
It always pays to change all the consumable parts that come into contact with a belt if you plan to change only one.

Do the tensioner and the belt if you do the TVD (crankshaft pulley) otherwise you will be back to the car to finish the job sooner or later.

Contributor

Thanks I think I have a job on my hands
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

You were unlucky to not make it to 100k with the crank pulley when it would have been changed with the cam belt.

80k is poor going for a crank pulley (TVD) on the diesel.

Contributor

I was told about freeplay in the pulley 6 months before I got round to change it by that time it had disintegrated and slivers of metal were sticking out of the side facing the timing belt had eaten through the plastic cover, badly designed pulley to fail like that so close to the timing belt. I did wonder if it was because I tend to drive in a bit too high of a gear alot of the time, like engine lugging.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

biorapter2321 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:30 pm I was told about freeplay in the pulley 6 months before I got round to change it by that time it had disintegrated and slivers of metal were sticking out of the side facing the timing belt had eaten through the plastic cover, badly designed pulley to fail like that so close to the timing belt. I did wonder if it was because I tend to drive in a bit too high of a gear alot of the time, like engine lugging.
Either the car hasn't done 80k or its showing 80k and has a different engine or has been 'wound back'.

The pulleys can go on for over 100k miles before getting dry or the TVD knocking etc.

Higher gears are better for the engine because the total number of revolutions are reduced for the same mileage.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

Impossible, i've had the car since 40k miles i'm sure it hasnt been tampered with like that, just unlucky then I guess. I haven't had many other problems with it
My Name: Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Unfortunately your video is very shaky and it's difficult to see what's going on.
It seems as though the tensioner jumps up and down irrespective of whether you push on the belt or not? I would expect the tensioner to settle down when you pushed on the belt. Telling me the problem is not likely tension (or lack) of the belt.
The pulley does not look brand new? Does it run true? Any damage to the 'V' groove face?
As Mr Spock would say: if it ran fine before and you only replaced the pulley, logic dictates the problem is with the pulley.