Engine cutting out then engine light on

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: spras

Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.6
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 35000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

I was being shown the hand priming pump on a C3 incase it ran out of fuel. It was pushed a few times just to demonstrate. There is a plastic catch immediately behind it that was flicked. Suspect it is for fuel cut off, but I cannot find an engine diagram to verify. Drove for about 5 - 10 minutes and the engine cut out. It would not restart. Pushed it to the side and tried the priming pump, thinking that messing with it earlier may have caused the issue. No change. Moving the switch to a different position got the engine running again. Seems to be running fine. It was thought that the switch was originally up (away from the priming pump), but it the engine only started with it down (towards the priming pump). Could have been wrong so, fine, whatever works. After driving about 5 minutes the engine maintenance light comes on.

It runs fine and after switching off and trying it again an hour later the light is off. But is anyone able to offer any information about this? Particularly what that switch does and the problem that may have been caused?
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

spras wrote:I was being shown the hand priming pump on a C3 incase it ran out of fuel. It was pushed a few times just to demonstrate. There is a plastic catch immediately behind it that was flicked. Suspect it is for fuel cut off, but I cannot find an engine diagram to verify. Drove for about 5 - 10 minutes and the engine cut out. It would not restart. Pushed it to the side and tried the priming pump, thinking that messing with it earlier may have caused the issue. No change. Moving the switch to a different position got the engine running again. Seems to be running fine. It was thought that the switch was originally up (away from the priming pump), but it the engine only started with it down (towards the priming pump). Could have been wrong so, fine, whatever works. After driving about 5 minutes the engine maintenance light comes on.

It runs fine and after switching off and trying it again an hour later the light is off. But is anyone able to offer any information about this? Particularly what that switch does and the problem that may have been caused?
I don't see any mention of the switch you describe in the owners manual. Is it possible to take some pictures of the offending switch and attach them to a reply using the form below :)