engine cut out, unable to start it again, turning over and wouldn't kick in

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: zoeyhart

Hi all.
First time on this forum just looking to find some information about problems starting my car, have looked through other topics but found nothing similar to my problems.

Car is C3, 1.4, diesel, 2007

So heres the deal:
Car has always being fine and passed every MOT each time, however one day two weeks ago came to start my car, it started i drove roughly 1 metre and the engine cut out, came to start it again but it just kept turning over and wouldn't kick in. Left it for 4 hours and still nothing, after disconnecting the battery and resting everything AND putting a tester on it came up with the main fault as "mass air flow". Finally got it started and ran like a dream. Got told by a mechanic to unplug the air flow reader and let it run and it has been fine for a week now, however still struggling to start.

A week of good luck and were back to square one, car starts then cuts out and then just turns over and over, ive found now it i put my foot on the accelerator to 6000revs the car will kick in and again run smoothly when driven. The car has now done this starting, cutting out then struggling to start over 6 times now, the man in a garage we took it too said it could be a EGR valve? but that doesnt seem possible to me.

Any suggestions please before i send it too another million garages. THANK YOU.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

the man in a garage we took it too said it could be a EGR valve?
A quick and dirty way to remove the EGR as being a potential problem is to just blank it off, cheap, reversible and you don't get charged for a new EGR valve - one of these from eBay.

Some EGR removal info is here: Citroen C3 1.4 16v HDI EGR Valve removal and refitting topic (you don't need to remove it, just get access and slacken the bolts a bit if you get the slotted blank plate.)

I would get lexia tool as OBD is just going to come up with MAF (air flow sensor) faults which isn't the reason the car cuts out. (Lexia is the cloned version of a Citroen diagnostic tool that runs on an old laptop). This should allow you to see more information about why the engine stops once its started.

Is the servicing up to date, like the fuel filter? if not, then do this first :D

Yes all servicing is up to date, new fuel filter was fitted about 3 weeks ago.
Thanks for your help will suggest a lexia to test :)
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

zoeyhart wrote:new fuel filter was fitted about 3 weeks ago.
Did the problem with the car not starting occur soon after the fuel filter change? or was the fuel filter changed because the starting problem?

The thing is, if the filter was changed, then the car started giving trouble, maybe the filter is not fitted correctly or something was disturbed while the filter was being changed. The fuel filter service comes at the same time as several other service items, if the filter was changed on the service schedule, then look at all the other things that got checked/changed on the service too.

C3driver52 wrote: Did the problem with the car not starting occur soon after the fuel filter change? or was the fuel filter changed because the starting problem?
fuel filter was changed because of the starting problem
Just got it back from a second garage for a second opinion and they say it is the EGR valve (electrical) and maybe worn fuel pipes that are sucking in air. Do these sound like possibility? The mechanic didnt seem to trustworthy because he was dealing with two women and just making up things to make us pay!!
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi zoeyhart
Thanks for your help will suggest a lexia to test
How did you get on with the diagnostics with the lexia code reader?