EGR Valve problems

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: DevineSA

Top Contributor
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2006 (06)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 281000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD

Hi

I have a Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 2006. My diesel consumption has doubled and there are drip marks under the car that appear to be a combination of diesel and oil. The part that is circled in the attached photo contains a similar mixture of diesel and oil.

Firstly, please can someone confirm what this part is called and what it's purpose is?
What is this part?
What is this part?
Secondly, I would like to confirm that this is in fact the faulty part. After cleaning it out, the diesel/oil mix returns and is visible around this part on the outside. Is there another reason why the diesel would be building up here? Is there perhaps another reason why my diesel consumption has become so terrible. (There are no signs of leaks under the diesel tank).

There are currently no performance issues that I can tell, although some time back there would be horse-power losses going uphill.

Any assistance is welcome

Thank you
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

DevineSA wrote: I have a Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 2006.
Firstly, please can someone confirm what this part is called and what it's purpose is?
Hi DevineSA

I thought at first it was the MAF, but it looks like its from the other side of the engine.

Can you take a picture shown the engine bay and the part in the correct position, like this one:

Citroen C3 engine bay
Citroen C3 engine bay

So parts are shown as you would see them while looking into the engine bay from the front of the car.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

citroen c3 diesel inlet system
citroen c3 diesel inlet system

This may help.

It looks like part number 9 is called a hose, just part of the inlet system. I don't know what the electrical connection on it is though.

I would imagine the stuff is oil, leaking from the turbo it that's worn, or its coming through the breather system because the engine rings are worn out, or the breather system is blocked or damaged somewhere.

I do not see where diesel would be getting into the inlet system.

Top Contributor

Hi

Thanks so much for your initial thoughts.

@Arfur Dent - Please see the attached photo as requested. I have circled the part in position in red.

@C3CAR - the position is similar to the position shown in the diagram you posted. However there is definitely an electrical connection and internally there is a steel valve that seems to either re-direct air (although there's nowhere else for air to go) OR most likely restrict air flow.
C3 diesel engine.jpg
I am South Africa based and I have taken my car to my local Citroen dealership. Beside terrible service and cost of parts, they did not convince me that they definitely knew what the fault was. They suggested it could be the EGR valve or an air-flow meter. I haven't been having the performance issues for quite a while now (since their diagnosis) and therefore have taken no action. However it is definitely diesel that is being lost - the smell, texture and consumption all confirm that I'm losing diesel. When I check the oil levels it is always full and I haven't had to top up for many months.

Therefore because of my lack of confidence in the local Citroen dealership and my VERY basic mechanical knowledge, I'm hoping to get clarity on what could be the problem. My car is longer under warranty, so I have no loyalty or obligation towards Citroen, although I may still have to order spares through them as we're limited for options in SA. However I would like confidence that the part I swap out will indeed fix the problems I'm having.

I have Googled the part number (Delphi 39059mvrv1) and it returns by calling it either a Farfalla (Italian I think) or a Drosselklappe (German if I'm not mistaken). I'm really not convinced that it is the EGR valve for my vehicle. I think it is a throttle valve. None of this research however has helped me understand what the problem is OR that swapping this part will solve it. When I remove the Drosselklappe and clean it, diesel can be found in and around the part within a short space of time. So if it is not causing the problem, the diesel that is finding it's way here is definitely seeping through somehow (even though I cannot locate an actual hole in the casing).

Sorry for making this reply so long. Your suggestions are welcome.

Top Contributor

Hi

Found this link on the Delphi website, which looks very similar to the part in my vehicle

https://www.delphi.com/manufacturers/aut ... ols/dmvrv/

Again, just wondering if this is the actual problem or if the actual EGR is causing the fault to appear here.

Guru

Thanks for the picture :)
Delphi Diesel Electronic Throttle Controls regulate the intake manifold pressure on diesel engines to help increase exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) rates.
It seems from your link that it is a valve to regulate the flow of air to affect the EGR system. Its not fitted to European models, so its going to be something that is used to meet higher or more stringent emission standards.

As the delphi description states its just a valve that can restrict the flow of air to the engine.

You shouldn't be getting any diesel in the inlet system. There is no pathway for diesel to get into the air inlet side of the engine (including the turbo charger and electronic throttle control valve). The diesel is injected directly into the cylinders and not into the inlet system.

The only way I can think of at the moment to get diesel into the inlet system is via a faulty inlet valve (that doesn't close) so the piston forces the injected diesel, back past the inlet valve and towards the turbo where it gets deposited on your electronic throttle control valve.

Unfortunately, for my scenario to be correct, you engine would be effectively only be running on 3 cylinders, running very roughly at idle, sound wrong and require at least the cylinder head off to be repaired :cry:
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

Citroen C3 inlet with throttle control valve (AIR DOSER)
Citroen C3 inlet with throttle control valve (AIR DOSER)
The 'Air Doser' or 'Diesel Electronic Throttle Control' part no. 1628XZ appears on the low emission diesel engines 'L5' - outside europe.

I don't think this part is your problem, but its just that this part is just showing the effects of the problem.

Diesel Electronic Throttle Control' part no. 1628XZ C3 Citroen
Diesel Electronic Throttle Control' part no. 1628XZ C3 Citroen
Diesel Electronic Throttle Control' part no. 1628XZ Citroen C3
Diesel Electronic Throttle Control' part no. 1628XZ Citroen C3

Top Contributor

Thank you both for your comments

@Arfur Dent- I hope your scenario is incorrect. As we say in South Africa...EISH!! (it's just a simple term of exclamation). Although this is the reason for posting my questions in the manner that I have. My simple knowledge of combustion didn't correlate with the evidence I have presented in this thread. Have to say though, I cannot hear or feel any difference in the performance of the engine.

Could either of you give me a description of where I can find my EGR valve (this was one of the faults detected by the Citroen dealership)? Or perhaps post a link where I can look at an engine diagram, similar to those C3CAR has already posted.

Also, any ideas why the vehicle might be consuming so much diesel and what I should look for as being the source of the drip marks under the engine compartment?

Thank you again.

Guru

DevineSA wrote:Have to say though, I cannot hear or feel any difference in the performance of the engine.
That's is good.
DevineSA wrote:Could either of you give me a description of where I can find my EGR valve
You will need to remove the air box and then look behind the engine at the other side of it. The EGR valve is under the white arrow in the picture.
Citroen C3 L5 diesel engine non europe emission control
Citroen C3 L5 diesel engine non europe emission control
Remove the whole stainless steel pipe and clean out the pipe and the EGR valve
RGR vlave from an early citroen C3 diesel removed for inspection and cleaning
RGR vlave from an early citroen C3 diesel removed for inspection and cleaning

There is a description in the link below
https://citroenc3owners.com/diesel-c3-ti ... -t289.html
for doing the job on the 16v engine, which is very similar other than the air box (air filter housing) you will need to remove.

DevineSA wrote:Also, any ideas why the vehicle might be consuming so much diesel and what I should look for as being the source of the drip marks under the engine compartment?
If diesel is leaking out, you will be using lots of diesel and won't notice a change in performance.

Check all the diesel connections in the engine bay. I would start with the fuel filter ones, only because these get disturbed more often than the others. Some filters have an outlet drain at the bottom, check under the filter too. But check the fuel pipes, low and high pressure fuel connections for evidence of diesel.

Identify which side on the engine the drips appear, front or back and confirm they are diesel (smell and texture) to help identify the source of the leak.
My Name: BernieRubble

Contributor
Model: C3 2017-on. The new C3
Year: 2017 (17)
Engine Size: 1.2
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 16268
Trim Level: Feel
Engine name: EB2F PureTech 3-Cylinder (82 PS)

hi,i'm new ;) ,just bought a C3 1.4hdi '13.i had a C4 1.6hdi '05,problem with my EGR,asked a friend who drives a hackney cab,he had a TX2 engine with the EGR and had nothing but problems,his new TX4 engine doesn't have the EGR and no problems what so ever.So i bought on ebay a EGR blanking plate,£3.50,you just loosen the nuts,slip the blanking plate into position,tighten the nuts and it went great,no smoke,nothing.it comes up on the computer readout but just ignore it.it also won't fail it's MOT.