DTC Code P1160

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: kirkyoke

Hi all,
I have a 53 plate 1.4 hdi & the engine management light keeps coming on even thougfh the car runs fine. Anyway to cut a long story short i have had it read on lexia 3 & it comes up with p1160 turbo pressure signal. I have changed the turbo electrovalve & checked all vacuum pipes but the same fault keeps coming back. any ideas anyone??
Thanks for your time,
Dave.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi kirkyoke
p1160 turbo pressure signal
I can't say 'I know what P1160 is', but I would have a look at the intake side of the turbo;
from the air filter all the way through to the turbo looking for splits in pipes, etc.

(intercooler cracked 16v engines)

Maybe you have already done this before changing the turbo electrovalve but this was my first thought.

Was P1160 the only code listed?
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: kirkyoke

Hi again,
Can clear code no problem, after 3-4 miles light comes back on, P1160 (Turbo pressure signal) is the only code that returns,
There is no power loss, limp mode or anything, just annoys me having a light on that should'nt be on if you know what i mean .... lol
Cheers
My Name: bill sutton

Experienced Member

I have it too! though the engine is running like a train, so no obvious turbo fault there then. The thought occurred that it might be too good, i.e too much boost and in danger of causing too much excitement, now we wouldn't want that now would we ? otherwise I have no idea and wish it would go away
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

The 16v 1.4 HDi has the turbo electrovalve which controls the turbos variable vanes and a pressure sensor (MAP sensor) in the inlet part of the engine.
Citroen C3 1.4 HDi 16v MAP Sensor
Citroen C3 1.4 HDi 16v MAP Sensor
C3 1.4 HDi 16v MAP sensor at ECP

The picture shows the MAP sensor mounted to the inlet manifold near the EGR connection to the inlet manifold.

The MAP is fitted to the 1.4 16v and 1.6 16v Diesel engines, but is not fitted to the 8v engined 1.4 which has a traditional turbocharger and wastegate.

Experienced Member

kirkyoke wrote:Hi again,
Can clear code no problem, after 3-4 miles light comes back on, P1160 (Turbo pressure signal) is the only code that returns,
There is no power loss, limp mode or anything, just annoys me having a light on that should'nt be on if you know what i mean .... lol
Cheers
Did you ever get to bottom of this one? its driving me bonkers and seriously detracts from the resale value if nothing else! ;)

Experienced Member

I just cleared my recurring P1160 and other errors, by replacing the crank sensor, I don't know why this worked but then neither do Citroen , so I saved myself a bob or two!!!

Experienced Member

Spoke too soon, light back on, but less frequently than before, every couple of days or so and usually when under heavy acceleration in 4th gear. Have emailed the dealer who serviced the car for the first 6 years to see if he will supply the meaning of P1160/P1351 without having to drive to Preston from Wales to get it. I reckon after total engine failure at 65k, he owes me that at least.

Experienced Member

what a surprise, the dealer didn't respond, the light goes on and off on a regular basis but doesn't seem to cause any problems but come the MOT it will now fail do to the change in legislation, so my car is basically fine but scrap come july. Thanks Citroen
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

P1160 is looking like a manifold pressure or flow problem,

MAP has been suggested, but MAF is also to be checked, this includes MAF wiring, connector and communication with the engine ECU.

Check the whole intake system for leaks, check the MAP (if present, not all engines have it) and check the MAF and its associated wiring.

The MAF
C3 MAF
C3 MAF
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)