Diesel - white smoke coming from the exhaust

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: ExtremeRS200

Hi All.

I have a 2003 Citroen C3 HDi 16V (42K on the clock) with white smoke coming from the exhaust and takes a lot of cranking before it starts and then it sounds like a tractor. When it warms up the smoke all clears and the fault is pretty unoticable.

I had it in the garage and the dealer replaced the MAP sensor, it was great for just over a month and then went back to
the white smoke again. Took it back to the garage and then they said it was in need of a new injector no1!

At this point I decided to have a look myself, I took the injectors out and the copper sealing washers were eroded down the centre, making them an oval shape inside, also there are signs of errosion on the injector tips near to the sealing washers, there was no
chuffing sound coming from the cylinders, so either there was high pressure fuel bypassing the injector tips or some sort off detonation problem. Has anyone else seen this?
I have since connected all 4 injectors to a spare injector pipe I bent so I could test all 4 injectors 1 at a time and they all squirt correctly from the 6 tiny holes. I have no idea if they are squirting too much though!

I have since tested both map sensors I have in my possesion, and both test fine, so I am wondering if the garage either reset
the ecu or cleared some fault codes to actually getting it working right the first time.

My next question is I would like to buy a lexia, to check/reprogramme the injector codes. But there seems to be a miriad of different
versions, can someone recommend one which will do injector codes.

Thanks for reading
More Thanks for replying!

ExtremeRS200
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi ExtremeRS200

There are 2 Lexia, one is the official Citroen tool and the other is a copy of the original Citroen part, made in china (click here) which also pop up on eBay.

Its often not viable for car owners to get the official citroen lexia/diag box solution so the copy Lexia clone tool from here is the one to use. It requires windows XP/Windows 7 to run and any low version will work with a 2003 C3 (low version, that is one that was produced from 2003 on, making it 10 years old) - pretty much all of them!

There is a topic for lexia/diagbox and installing tips here
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

When it warms up the smoke all clears
Could be due to build up of deposits in the head and on the pistons. It would be worth trying some Diesel system cleaner. I would give it several full tanks worth before expecting to see any changes.
My Name: ExtremeRS200

Thanks Arthur Dent / C3car for your quick replies.

It could well be carbon build up in the engine as it was always used for short journeys, hence only 42K.
It certainly gives me something else to go on!

Cheers

ExtremeRS200
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

ExtremeRS200 wrote:t could well be carbon build up in the engine as it was always used for short journeys, hence only 42K
My advice is to not skimp on the oil changes or skimp on the oil quality with those changes with all your short journeys. There is a post about the engine oil for the Diesel C3 here .