diesel has chugging in low gear and fume smell

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: Sunflower

I need some advice please.

We recently bought a 52 reg C3 from a small dealer. 1.4 HDI SX. As recently as 3 weeks ago!!!

As soon as I started driving it back and forth to work I started to notice a fume smell coming through the air vents, like burnt fuel. I also found it was 'chugging' when going down to 4th say in a 30 mph area and worse when slowing down even more, having to put it into 3rd to stop it cutting out. It was also doing the same thing in 5th at 40 mph but not quite so bad. Last week I decided to take it to a local garage who work mainly on French cars. They did a diagnostic and came back to me saying it needs 4 new injectors and a fuel sensor as it is faulty.

They tell me the injectors are running as follows:
1. 129
2. 81
3. 80.4
4. 121.2

They said they should all be running at between 100 - 100.4. The fuel temp is a constant 90% and the sensor is faulty.

Yesterday I took the car back to the dealer after having to wait for the man to come back from his nice holiday in Egypt!!!

Today he rings me and says his techy has run his own diagnostic and all the injectors are running at 100.4 (funny that as I told him that is what they should be running at as per the report!!!) He says they hooked it up and took it for a spin and there was no problem. This man is a typical sales man, jabber jabber about crap and has tried to say there is nothing wrong and that the injectors are fine.

In less than 2 weeks I am driving to mid France to live and the first garage told me not to take it as it would not get me to France and would break down. Now I am really worried, what to do. They wanted £1200 +VAT +Labour to put in the injectors and fuel sensor. To be honest I dont have that kind of money to spend but if the dealer shrinks away from it by saying there is nothing wrong how can I sort it out???

Any advice greatfully received and yes I am female but quite technical and my hubby was an MT tech in the RAF for 20 years so I am not a push over either.

Thanks in anticipation of any helpful advice.

:?
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Welcome to the forum Sunflower,

They tell me the injectors are running as follows:
1. 129
2. 81
3. 80.4
4. 121.2

They said they should all be running at between 100 - 100.4. The fuel temp is a constant 90% and the sensor is faulty.
I have no idea what that is :( . there isn't even any units to help.

I would speak to your local trading standards and contact the Citizen advice regarding your consumer rights. The garage is fobbing you off and you have some serious problems (chugging and a burning smell) which are never good news. Attempt to reject the car or get the garage to pay for the work. You will need an independent report on the state of the car and its not going to happen quickly :(

Do let us know how you get on :)