Diesel fuel pump Delphi replacement part

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: eddiemcguigan1900

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2005 (05)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Touch
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hi i have a 2005 C3 that has a faulty diesel pump the one on it is a Dephi,

im looking for some help on two things please.

Can you put a different pump on the car i.e. a bosch or siemans £50-100 as both of these are considerably cheaper than a delphi unit £300,

If you cant use a different as i suspect you cant does anyone know where i could get a cheaper secondhand one ??

Many thanks in advance.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

eddiemcguigan1900 wrote:Hi i have a 2005 C3 that has a faulty diesel pump the one on it is a Dephi,
That's odd. I can only see Bosch and Siemens listed for the 8v Diesel and the 16v has the Delphi.

Bosch and Siemens have different part numbers for the bracket that mounts the pump, but they were both fitted to the 8v engines.

The delphi only appeared on the 16v engine (with its different injectors).
eddiemcguigan1900 wrote:Hi i have a 2005 C3 that has a faulty diesel pump the one on it is a Dephi,
Can you tell me how you came to the conclusion that the high pressure fuel pump was faulty? It virtually unheard of. Do you also know what actually went wrong with it?
eddiemcguigan1900 wrote:If you cant use a different as i suspect you cant does anyone know where i could get a cheaper secondhand one ??
It is a good idea to get part numbers off the old unit and search on those along with generic text searches on eBay. You will find your pump fitted to other makes and models of similar years, so its worth searching on part numbers as well as car.

The label from a Bosch HP pump
High Pressure Diesel Fuel Pump Citroen C3 Bosch
High Pressure Diesel Fuel Pump Citroen C3 Bosch
My Name: eddiemcguigan1900

Year: 2005 (05)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Touch

Hi,

My mistake it is a 16v not 8v so that at least answers my question about using a different fuel pump.

in answer to the question about it being faulty the garage have told me the pump is not producing enough presure to run the fuel system.

Does anyone know where i could get a cheaper delphi pump part number R9042Z023A ? the cheapest i can find so is £295

MAny thanks in advance.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

eddiemcguigan1900 wrote:in answer to the question about it being faulty the garage have told me the pump is not producing enough presure to run the fuel system.
Thanks for that. These pumps, with only 80 000 are not known for failing. With an internally wearing pump, as yours could be (because its not delivering enough pressure, something is worn), the worn off bits of metal end up in the injectors :( This is not good news. I do hope this is not going to be throwing good money after bad :roll:

I am interested in which tests they performed on the HP pump to diagnose the pump itself as faulty. I doubt I will ever find out, but at over £1000 for a new pump and £300 for a used one, I do hope they did a thorough job of diagnosis :)

eddiemcguigan1900 wrote:Does anyone know where i could get a cheaper delphi pump part number R9042Z023A ? the cheapest i can find so is £295
I did look, but I can't see any. You could ask someone breaking up their damaged C3 1.4 HDi 16v if they would supply a High Pressure fuel pump? Try this one on eBay for example. You can have a complete engine for £225 - so you get your pump and some spares thrown in.

The Delphi High Pressure Fuel Pump for Common Rail Diesel Engines found in the Citroen C3 1.4 HDi 16v
The Delphi High Pressure Fuel Pump for Common Rail Diesel Engines found in the Citroen C3 1.4 HDi 16v

You should be able to use the link below to edit your Car information to reflect the correct fuel type and number of valves ;)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)