Desire HDI 8v Diesel no power or acceleration

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: samuelodog

Hi - my C3 has been experiencing a loss of power / acceleration for a while now. It is fine in 1st and 2nd, but to get up to 50/60, say on a slip road, I have to floor the pedal in 3rd! - and then wait for it to creep up. It struggles up hills, especially with more than 1 person in the car. The revs seem to reach only 1.5 - 2, in 3rd,4th,5th. They go up in 1st and 2nd.

To accelerates so slowly, I literally have to floor the pedal to reach 40.

It idles perfectly, no warning lights, no smoke, starts easily, good mgp, no noises, no shuddering, nothing showing up in diagnostic. Just had service done, had air filter changed. They couldnt find anything wrong.

So what could be wrong? it is sooo sluggish? It was fine before a long drive about yr back, and on the way back home- it struggled to get up speed to get onto the motorway. Been bad ever since, and I have no money left to spend getting loads more checks/work done. I need a good call. So
PLEASE HELP!
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Welcome to the forum samuelodog,
The revs seem to reach only 1.5 - 2, in 3rd,4th,5th. They go up in 1st and 2nd.
Possibly a 'limp home mode' enforced by the engine ECU because a fault is detected, coupled with a fault on the MIL lamp? or
a fuel restriction, the 'in tank' electric fuel pump may be giving trouble? But my advice is not to just change parts on a whim, its will cost you plenty in parts cost.

nothing showing up in diagnostic
I would start here, nothing is very rare. There is usually at least one code, even on a car that runs well without any problems!

Your 2004 (54) year is right on the border line of not being OBD compliant and would go straight for LEXIA. This tool system will read all the codes and give you live readings from say, the turbo, the fuel system pressure and all those things that could be giving trouble.

With the right level of diagnostics you should get some idea of where the problem lies.

Thank you so much.

So I need Lexia 3.

Do I need to buy the actual gizmo and software, or will a citroen garage do this for me?

Or anybody in the oxford area got one I can borrow!

Many thanks
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi samuelodog
Do I need to buy the actual gizmo and software, or will a citroen garage do this for me?
Any citroen dealer will have the right 'gizmo' and will charge you for them to use it on your car, its not cheap. If you buy the gizmo (it comes with the software) and you have a laptop to install it on you can use it as many times as you like now and in the future for no extra cost. It will also have a resale value if you change cars.

Thanks.

I just phoned the garage who did the diagnostic as part of the service. They said they do not use a citroen diagnostic tool/software, but their own version. They also said they just had their software upgraded and offered to re-run a diagnostic for free.

I phoned a citroen garage who said they do an hours investigation with diagnostics for 100 quid.

So I will try the old garage first, and then either buy a lexia or take it in.

p.s. the citroen garage said it sounds like the fuel filter. But there is no weird idling or sudden power loss. Anyway, I'll wait and see.
Many thanks

Hi -

Garage finished with it - they gave it a full diagnostic test, which they assured me was all inclusive and if there was anything wrong, it would show up there... The test showed absolutely no problems whatsoever.

They took it for a test drive, but never went over 30, hence they could not see the problems when going over 30!

So what do I do next? Will the lexia 3 give a better diagnostic report?

I am back to square one!

Any ideas?

Thanks! :cry:
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

They took it for a test drive, but never went over 30, hence they could not see the problems when going over 30!
Sounds like they just couldn't be bothered with your car.

Will the lexia 3 give a better diagnostic report?
It couldn't be any worse, and at least you can trust your own eyes and run as many diagnostics as you like and do as many test runs at whatever speed you like if you do it yourself.

So what do I do next?
I would forget everything the garage has said, do you still trust them to do a good job?
Connect up lexia and start again from the beginning, check for codes, go for a drive, check for codes again.

If you get any codes,
Post the codes (screen grabs are the best and easiest) in this topic, and take it from there.

If no codes, let us know :) and we can take it from there.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Thanks.

I do trust the garage - they did the extra tests for free. They spent an hour and a half looking at it, and they don't seem to be the usual money grabbing type. If they were - they would have said 'try this' and charged me for it.

I'll see if I can get a cheap lexia 3 though.

Thanks.

OK -
so I took the car on the motorway this weekend.

It was a nightmare getting down the slip road.

In the slow lane, we got up to 60, slowly, and then there was a small hill.

There was a bus behind us, and I floored the pedal in 5th. We began to slow down, till we were doing c. 45 mph up this hill. As normal, the revs barely fluctuated.

I changed down to 4th, and we slowed even more, and then I put it in third -

The revs suddenly shot up, the car leaped ahead, I went back to fourth, and it sped up to 60 with ease, went to 5th, and the little devil was alive. !! We sailed to London with full power!

For the rest of the journey - and the journey back, it was fine. It took me changing down to third and flooring it to sort of break it out of its funk.

What could be causing this? Does it sound like some sort of blockage that I managed to clear by putting it in 3rd?

Ok. Problem is back, and engine management light is on now. Do i take or back to have another diagnostic?