Desire HDI 8v Diesel no power or acceleration

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Try E) disconnect the MAF and see if things change, let us know the results. :)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: samuelodog

Ok - how do I do that?

Why is it likely to be the MAF?

Sorry - as you can tell, I know little about cars!

Should I order the egr blanking plate anyway for a step 2?

Thanks!

Guru

Ok - how do I do that?
Just pull the plug, it will be on the air intake pipe, similar to:

Citroen C3 MAF plug disconnected to test
Citroen C3 MAF plug disconnected to test
Why is it likely to be the MAF?
because
I have seen a similar lack of power with the car (HDI) unable to sustain 70mph on an incline and disconnecting the MAF fixed the problem on subsequent drives.
and
Permanent Fault - Flow Meter signal air flow too high.
I suggest the MAF disconnection as its the cheapest (nil cost) and easiest (no tools) job on the list of possibles. I would always start with the easy and cheap before the more complex, time consuming or expensive tests/fixes.

Sorry - as you can tell, I know little about cars!
Its a learning curve for everyone. I think you are learning :)

Should I order the egr blanking plate anyway for a step 2?
Good idea, that's cheap and quite easy to fit. You can find one here.

But, only do one at a time, otherwise you won't know which one had an effect.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: snook65

Top Contributor
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Touch

Would like to know what happened as I seem to similar issues very simllar !

Engine tested injectors cylnders all fine !

Engine guys say its electrical ecu or wiring !!

Well...

I disconnected the MAF.

And...

IT DRIVES LIKE A DREAM!!!!

PERFECTLY!!!!

Now... what does this mean?

Does this mean I:

a) need to clean the MAF
b) need to replace the MAF
c) can drive with MAF off forever

or does MAF only report another fault, i.e. could by EGR valve still be all blocked up?

If this is so, would it be a bad idea to drive without the MAF, and would replacing it make no difference?

THANKS!! I FEEL I AM GETTING SOMEWHERE AT LAST! 8-)

Guru

a) need to clean the MAF
b) need to replace the MAF
c) can drive with MAF off forever
a) is the cheapest and may just work, you won't know until you try some MAF Cleaner.

b) not cheap, get it from Citroen main dealer from what I have read, there a lot of sub standard one out there.

c) in theory, yes. You may find poorer performance in very cold or very hot or over more extreme times. EGR won't function or won't function as well. But it won't damage the engine.
or does MAF only report another fault, i.e. could by EGR valve still be all blocked up?
Its easy to clean the EGR, and if its the pneumatic one, easy to test too. See C3 EGR Valve removal and refitting.
If this is so, would it be a bad idea to drive without the MAF, and would replacing it make no difference?
Its ok to drive with it disconnected.

Changing it? well, you won't know until you try. There could be a wiring fault or some ECU fault, that affects the MAF you won't know without electrical testing or changing parts.

Thanks

So could it still be the EGR that is the problem, given that I have disconnected the MAF and all seems to work?

And how do I tell what kind of EGR I have? If it isn't the pneumatic one, can I clean it?

And if I keep using the car with the MAF disconnected, will there always be an engine warning light on?

Oh, and do you happen to know if that CRC sensor cleaner you linked is the same as this:
- 'CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner' ?

Thanks... getting there!

Guru

And how do I tell what kind of EGR I have? If it isn't the pneumatic one, can I clean it?
Yes, you can clean both.

You will see what you have when you remove it. Electrical connector with wires or a pipe will link to it.

And if I keep using the car with the MAF disconnected, will there always be an engine warning light on?
I don't know. Disconnect MAF doesn't bring on a warning light on a 16v diesel 2002, but it may do if there are other faults. Disconnecting the MAF won't necessarily take off the warning light, it depends on why its illuminated.

Oh, and do you happen to know if that CRC sensor cleaner you linked is the same as this:
- 'CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner' ?
It sounds like it will do the same thing.

Thanks for all this.

I have ordered the cleaner.

Last thing I still don't understand is - could it still be the EGR?

I'm not sure if the EGR and the MAF are linked in some way.

My worry is.. I disconnect the MAF and treat it etc, and all the while I'm assuming the MAF is the problem. Could it still be the EGR though? I don't want to ignore it now that the car seems fine, only to have the engine explode down the line because the EGR is messed up.

Should I still test it with the blanking plate, or given the MAF seems to be the issue, should I not bother?

Thanks for this.

Bump?

If I keep my MAF disconnected - because the car appears to work fine now -
am I at risk of ignoring a potentially bigger problem - such as a blocked EGR.?

I guess what I'm asking is - does the MAF play up to show there is a problem somewhere else - is it for example a 'warning system' trying to say to me - 'Hey - your EGR is messed up! Change it!'

So if I have disconnected the MAF - could that mean down the line my car gets worse?

And I am a bit scared to get to the EGR and fit the plate/clena it - is this still necessary given that withe the MAF off it works fine?

Thanks