Desire HDI 8v Diesel no power or acceleration

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: samuelodog

Hi -

back again.

The car is even worse.

I have 3 options. I have been advised to get a lexia 3 tool, but I simply can't afford one.

I have a guy with a diagnostic 'foxwell' tool who said he will get the diagnostic error codes for me for a tenner.

I have a citroen garage who say they will retrieve the codes using a citroen diag. box for £60.

Do you think it is worth going to citroen? Or are these foxwell tools any good?

I then need to see if they find anything, and if so - how much it will be to fix!
Thanks

P.S

Another garage say they have a 'Tecnomotor' diagnostic service for £39.

They failed to find a fault code last time, but now there is also a warning light.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hello samuelodog
I have a citroen garage who say they will retrieve the codes using a citroen diag. box for £60.
here is a lexia for £60 on ebay, used once to solve a problem and then being sold on. If you pay citroen £60, that's a one time only test and you don't get to keep or sell the hardware :cry: But you will have to work out how to use it, it a steep learning curve, but there are many people using it.

These difficult problems may take several (or many) sessions on the diagnostics......

I have a guy with a diagnostic 'foxwell' tool who said he will get the diagnostic error codes for me for a tenner.
I have never used one, but if you do take the plunge, let us know how it goes with regards to what codes and test it can perform.
I then need to see if they find anything, and if so - how much it will be to fix!
Yes, it could be a £10 sensor, or something more expensive. Then you have the cost of changing the part if you don't do it yourself.

Another garage say they have a 'Tecnomotor' diagnostic service for £39.

They failed to find a fault code last time, but now there is also a warning light.
What happens if 'Tecnomotor' fails this time too?

With the MIL on, you should get at lease ONE error code! but who has the equipment to read it?
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Guru

I had a quick look for foxewll and came up with this:
Code Reader NT300
The ergonomically-designed NT300 CAN OBDII/EOBD Code Reader offers both DIYers and pros the power to pinpoint even the toughest engine problems on all OBDII compliant vehicles. This tool delivers all the OBDII functionality at a price unmatched in the industry.
Which seems to imply it only works with OBDII/EOBD compliant cars, if your 2004 Diesel is NOT OBD then its probably not going to work. (2004 diesel may or may not be OBD - 2002 is NOT OBD and 2005 IS OBD).

There are several different models made by foxwell, and there is a Foxwell NT300 on ebay
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Thanks -

my only thought re. using the citroen garage is that maybe their diagnostic tool would be better - seeing as I used a garage who ran it through and found nothing.

I could buy the lexia, and it could find nothing, and I will be £60 out.?

Is Lexia easy to use?

If so - I could get that tool.

Guru

my only thought re. using the citroen garage is that maybe their diagnostic tool would be better
The citroen garage use lexia/diagbox, the ones on eaby are 'clones' with the same functions and behave the same. Its just that citroen have experienced technicians using the gear.

I could buy the lexia, and it could find nothing, and I will be £60 out.?
Lexia is the citroen tool. If you can't get codes with lexia, there is a problem with the diagnostic interface in the car.
Sell it on when you have finished with it :)

Is Lexia easy to use?
Its not difficult to use. It takes a fair few steps to get it installed, and is very comprehensive, so has many levels of tests. Its all point and click with the mouse to use. Its the interpretation of the errors and the patience required to learn a new software package that gets some people upset.

Ideally it runs on a laptop, but if you can get the PC close enough to the car, that will work too :)
My Name: Hans Zarkov

Top Contributor
Year: 2004 (04)
Mileage: 120000

Hi Samueldog,

I had a very similar problem - changing the fuel filter worked for me!

I did occasionally get an engine warning light though, and a big loss of power - when the light was on, a diagnositc said it was an EGR problem - but it wasn't..

Changing the fuel filter is part of a service, so it's not a case of chucking money at the car to see what happens ....

Regards,

John
My Name: snook65

Top Contributor
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Touch

ok i know what your going thru mine is almost exactly the same went to scotland sept 100 miles into journey it did the same as yours could only get up to 50 then 45 mph on mild hill no power 3 beeps from engine pulled off side road waited fro 30mins off we go again seems like power is back wtf?? :?

Guru

Hi snook65

If you have a lack of power problem, you could try disconnecting the MAF (it just unplugs). I have see a similar lack of power with the car (HDI) unable to sustain 70mph on an incline and disconnecting the MAF fixed the problem on subsequent drives. Not tried a new MAF yet, but I am thinking it could be EGR or MAF related.

Its an easy thing to try and simple to put back as Citroen intended.

OK - update:

Took to Citroen Garage, who ran a diagnostic with all the latest Citroen kit and it said:

Permanent Fault - EGR regulation Airflow lower than setting
and Permanent Fault - Flow Meter signal air flow too high.

They suggested doing these: First - Change EGR valve - £200

If that doesn't work- Solenoid control electrovalve - £100

If that doesn't do it - Air Flow Meter - £126

And finally - last resort - New Turbo - £900. So potentially, it could be £200.
Or worst case scenario £1300, and not necessarily fixing the problem.

The research I have done online has led me to believe it could be any of the following:
Fuel Filter, EGR, Electovalve, Mass Airflow meter, Turbo, Turbo pipes clogged, clogged Cat, throttle sensor.
The list goes on.
I have also heard of an EGR blanking plate (4 quid) to apparently diagnose/fix EGR problems?

Question is - Do I:
A)Follow their 3 step fix and potentially lose a lot of money, as I have seen many others with the same symptoms do.
B)do the EGR, and if that fails - call it a day and sell the car cheap.
C)Buy/try the EGR blanking plate for £4 to either diagnose problem or fix it.
D) Just trade in/ sell car as is and cut my losses? :oops:

Any advice?

Thanks