Coolant leak - need help!

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: richiew

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 114000
Trim Level: Touch
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Hi Folks,

I've got a 2003 C3 1.4HDi 16v SX. This is the first Citroen that I have owned after years of good ol' Fords. After having this car for a few months now everything seemed fine (I am loving the MPG's especially!!!) until a few days ago, a red light appeared on the temp gauge. It flashed and beeped at me until it got to 3 bars on the temp gauge and then it disappeared.. It returned the next day and did the same thing, I checked the coolant levels on the second day only to find that the expansion bottle/chamber was empty!! I topped it up and the same thing happened a couple of days later.

Yesterday I jacked the car up and had a little nose around and I found out that the leak was coming from the rear of the engine bay possibly where the air filter box is and to the left a bit?! I read somewhere that it could be that the air filter box has severed a pipe somewhere although I wasn't able to get the air filter box out to check this out.

Can anyone please help me with this?!? Where do you think the leak is coming from? oh and there is no white gunky stuff in the oil (on the filler cap or the dipstick).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi richiew, welcome to the forum
Yesterday I jacked the car up and had a little nose around and I found out that the leak was coming from the rear of the engine bay possibly where the air filter box is and to the left a bit?!
Have a look at the picture below, it shows the rear of the engine and all the coolant hoses and pipes (the black ones). It could be any of theses that are leaking :(

I read somewhere that it could be that the air filter box has severed a pipe somewhere although I wasn't able to get the air filter box out to check this out.
I think you will need to get the air filter box out to get access and a better look.

These topics may help you remove the air-filter box from the car:

Remove the air filter on a C3 Diesel 16v

Remove the air filter box on the C3 HDi 16v

oh and there is no white gunky stuff in the oil (on the filler cap or the dipstick).
That's good news :)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

You sir, are a legend. :D

Took the car to the garage at lunch time today who quoted £48 for the black pipes in the picture as well as a couple of hours worth of labour!! All in, it would have been £150 - 200!!!

I'll do it myself thanks! :)

Are you able to tell me if the black pipes in the picture are one complete unit or would I be able to replace one of the black pipes??

Thanks again Arfur!
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Are you able to tell me if the black pipes in the picture are one complete unit or would I be able to replace one of the black pipes??
It is a complete unit, comes with the drain bung too.
cooing pipe set in the engine bay, citroen c3 2002 HDI diesel
cooing pipe set in the engine bay, citroen c3 2002 HDI diesel

Info on the correct coolant to be used on the C3 is available here.

Thanks again Arfur!
No problem, good luck. If you get a chance to take some pictures or make some notes to add to this topic so other can see how you completed the job, that would be great.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: alsie2

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2008 (08)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 37
Trim Level: Cachet

Can you get a small camera ( phone ) down the back somewhere,to photo and maybe see any antifreeze stains to give you a clue as to the exact point of leak.This worked for me on my 1.4 petrol but even on this simple engine access was almost nill.

I've got a Nokia X3 that I am using at the moment as I dropped my iPhone down the toilet.... (don't ask) and so it'd be useless as there is no flash. I do have another camera and will do my best to take some pictures.

I've managed to get it up on some ramps and there is pink staining on the exhaust pipe and also other places which has made it difficult to pinpoint the exact location of the leak.

The new pipe arrived yesterday morning and so I will hopefully be doing it on Saturday (weather permitting). Has anyone got any advice for me before I start the task? I'm hoping to acquire some axle stands today as I am thinking that a lot of the work will be carried out underneath the car...

Also, is there any way that I can stop the coolant from flooding out when I take the old pipe off?! (any other advice on this would be great too ;) )

Thanks for your advice and support so far!

Richie
My Name: brokenglowplug

Contributor
Year: 2004 (04)
Mileage: 160000

Try KSeal first
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Also, is there any way that I can stop the coolant from flooding out when I take the old pipe off?! (any other advice on this would be great too ;) )
Yes, you can drain the coolant out first and save it to reuse or to be disposed of and add new stuff (see this Citroen C3 OAT coolant topic).

Remove the radiator bottom pipe from the radiator, you may need a new jubilee clip if there isn't one there already because you may have to cut the factory band off.

Then there is the drain plug, its part of the pipe set you are going to remove, you will see it on the new pipe set. A clip and a bung.