Compatibility of mass air sensors?

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: kurt

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Hi everyone, I have a French 2004 1.4 Diesel C3.
Short version: Can I replace the air mass sensor with a newer version, or was some change made in the electrical interface?

Long version:
The engine light came on and I read:
P0102 Mass air flow "A" low
P1351 ??
The dealer wanted to replace the "debitmetre aire" at a cost of 400 euros.
This part is easy to get at and replace, so I'd rather not pay 400 euros. (This is the part where I mention that I'm a poor student.)
I tried cleaning my sensor with a special air mass sensor cleaner spray, but the trouble code returned.
The cable seems to have power and ground where they belong. I would like to see where the other end goes and check continuity, or see which fuses/relays could be involved, but I can't find a wiring diagram (I have a Haynes C3 manual, but the MAF doesn't appear in the wiring diagrams.)
As for replacement, I found this sensor online:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B009PIA ... UTF8&psc=1
Unfortunately, I ordered this and it doesn't seem to work (trouble code returns).
It is mechanically the same shape and has the same electrical connector.
The original sensor has the number "30930539.S3" printed on it.
The new sensor has the number "05330382.S4i2B"
So, the specific question is: did I get the wrong part?
In general, any advice on how to proceed?

Kind regards,
Kurt
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Welcome to the forum kurt.

The amazon part Intermotor 19625 Air Mass Meter looks right to me, the same part covers many different part numbers over several manufacturers.

The test for a MAF fault is to disconnect the MAF then drive the car.

The theory is that the computer will set default values for a disconnect MAF, so the car will drive quite well, but not great. If you don't have any change in performance with the MAF disconnected, its not a MAF fault and changing it won't help.

P0102 Flowmeter signal Short circuit to earth or open circuit

P1351 is a common glow plugs one, not a starting problem, but more an emissions problem at start up.

I do have some diagrams for MAF somewhere, I will try and dig them out for you.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: kurt

Year: 2004 (04)
Mileage: 140000

Thanks for the response!
The part certainly looks right, but there was one parts-finder webpage that only found this part for some 2005 and later engines.
If I disconnect the MAF, the car drives the same. I assumed that the computer had already decided that the MAF is faulty and was
already driving as if the MAF were disconnected.
It's interesting that the other trouble code is related to glow plugs. I thought that I had seen another thread about MAF + glow plug
trouble codes, but I am having trouble finding it at the moment.
I will post an update when I have a little more time to look at it.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

kurt wrote:It's interesting that the other trouble code is related to glow plugs. I thought that I had seen another thread about MAF + glow plug
trouble codes
I think you will find this is a coincidence.

What happens is the glow plug relay or plugs go faulty, but never gets noticed. They can be bad for years and never show any symptoms or give problems.

Then the MAF fails and the owner get the error codes and there are MAF and Glow plug codes present. It looks like they are connected, but they are not.

kurt wrote:If I disconnect the MAF, the car drives the same. I assumed that the computer had already decided that the MAF is faulty and was already driving as if the MAF were disconnected.
I don't think it works like this. The C3 takes a bad MAF reading and uses it, giving poor running. Only when the MAF is disconnected does the ECU use default values. I have had a bad MAF and there is a difference felt in driving with it connected and disconnected.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)