Clutch Screeches

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: Argen

Hello!

This weekend, the car started making a high pitch winding noise. If I press the clutch pedal, it turns into a screech. As soon as I release the clutch, the noise dies down. Press the clutch in and the loud screech comes back, etc.

Why would the clutch be making this noise? Its also weird how sometimes it just stops making the noise all together.

Please help! Just passed the MOT last week :(

Thanks in advance,
Pablo
My Name: jbz2079

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.6
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 75000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: Yes
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: BlueHDi (100 PS)

Not an MOT related thing.
It sounds like the clutch release bearing making the noise, especially as it gets louder when pedal pushed.

It is possible that the release bearing has siezed and is now wearing the clutch pressure plate release fingers, hence the noise and the clutch may fail completely soon.
The only cure is a replacement clutch kit.

Hey chaps,

It was suggested that I post a video of the noise, here it is!
Really appreciate your help!

Thanks again,
Pablo

Thanks jbz2079,

Is a clutch kit an expensive ordeal? And anyone know a good mechanic in London who would do it at a good price?

Thanks again,
Pablo
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Thanks for the video, its very clear. What an awful sound that failed clutch release bearing makes :(
Is a clutch kit an expensive ordeal?
The clutch kit costs around £116 from euro car parts (check here) for a diesel Citroen C3, so not cheap. The biggest cost is the labour, Citroen charge £500. Its false economy to just change the release bearing as while the gearbox is separated it is well worth changing all the parts in the clutch kit to save having the labour charge twice.

The topic that suggested Citroen charge £500 to separate the gearbox from the engine is here; Just bought a Citroen C3 and have noticed a problem.

There may be an F1 Autocentres near you? I have used my local one (not for a clutch),(not London though) and found them helpful. There was a big viewing window in the workshop and free tea and coffee, a competitive price, worth trying for a quote?