Citreon Mechanic Costs

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: stulish

Contributor
Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 87000
Trim Level: Vibe
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hi All,

i was just wondering about your experiences with Citroen dealer service departments, to give a little history my ventilation controls would not work correctly, so I took my 2011 C3 1.4HDi into Citroen and they diagnosed it needed a new set of dials as they had burned out and this had caused the wiring to melt, this cost me over £600, when I checked the invoice they had not only charged me for the C3 controls but also a set of DS3 controls; it wasn’t obvious on the invoice but after checking part numbers on the net I found this ‘ERROR’, obviously I challenged this and they refunded me nearly £300 and since then I have been wary of the main dealers.

Anyway I just took my C3 into another dealer as the windscreen wipers would not stop using the stalk control, the intermittent speed ran the wipers at normal speed and normal was still normal speed, the fast position sped up the wipers but when set to off the wipers kept going at normal speed and would continue for a few minutes after the ignition was off; the only way I could stop them was to remove the thee cables in the engine bay fuse box for a couple of seconds and then replace them, however the next time I used the wipers they would remain on again.
Citroen phoned me and said the wiper motor was at fault and the cost for repair would be £380, I thought this was a little steep but the job needed doing, they have just phoned and said the fuse box now also needs replacing as the fuses are melted together due to the motor fault, the cost has now gone up to £530.

I had a couple of questions:

1. If the wiper motor draw that much current why didn’t the fuse blow??? (the vent control also caused wires to melt so are Citroen fitting too high fuses?)
2. If the wiper motor was drawing that much current I would have expected the windings to have shorted or something and thus the wipers wouldn’t work.

I have said I will need to see the parts that were removed so I can get them checked out, and now they say the car won’t be ready until Monday.

Now I am not a complete idiot when it comes to electrics as I have a HND in electronics and have worked most of my career repairing and maintaining RADAR’s, Communications and Electronic devices so what the nice lady on the front desk said didn’t quite add up to me, so I asked to speak to the mechanic; she went off and came back saying no one was available.

I just find their behaviour to be suspect, I am not sure if I am reading too much into this but wondered what everyone else’s thoughts were on Citroen dealers in general. Like I said the lady on the desk/phone was really nice, but they always seem to find more wrong that needs repairing and the costs start to spiral
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

The heater controls do have common issues that cause the plastics to melt and then impossible or difficult to turn. You also get melted connectors to the heater control. Yes, all due to excess current over time. What causes it? Maybe a poor connection creates a high resistance which then forces more current to flow. It would be interesting to see what you find when you get the parts to investigate the cause.

They are certainly not restricted to the diesel engine though.

Contributor

I have the car back now with the wipers working, the costs are as follows:

Investigation £80
C6405QE CONROD ASSY £271.99
C6500HV FUSE BOX £79.64

VAT £86.33
TOTAL £517.96

The CONROD ASSY is the complete connecting rod assembly, and looking at it the motor can be removed and replaced (cost online for a motor £80), so why would they replace the whole assembly with nothing wrong with it does anyone know?

Thanks

Stu
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

stulish wrote:so why would they replace the whole assembly with nothing wrong with it does anyone know?
Citroen will quite often change both parts if there are 2 possibilities. Its saves a return journey and complaints about it not working.
How do you know there was nothing wrong with it? I would see if the bearings are dry or a bit stiff.

Citroen don't have the inclination to repair parts. They have a huge stock of replacement parts and they need using up. Obviously, a home DIY mechanic would try to repair the parts :)

Contributor

C3driver52 wrote:
stulish wrote:so why would they replace the whole assembly with nothing wrong with it does anyone know?
Citroen will quite often change both parts if there are 2 possibilities. Its saves a return journey and complaints about it not working.
How do you know there was nothing wrong with it? I would see if the bearings are dry or a bit stiff.

Citroen don't have the inclination to repair parts. They have a huge stock of replacement parts and they need using up. Obviously, a home DIY mechanic would try to repair the parts :)
Thanks C3driver52, i was just wondering as an engineer of many years (not a mechanic), we generally changed the lowest part, the connection rod assembly is in good working order so why swap it out when the windscreen wiper motor is a replacement part (£80-£90 online), and again with my faultfinding and electronic background the fault looked like a sticky relay but not being able to get any information i couldn't find where the relay was; subsequently having received both removed units when i picked the car up i pulled the fuse box appart and found the relays (this destroyed the outer casing of the old fuse box, so dont try if you want to re-use). I suppose i could check motor windings to see if there are any problems but generally with the wipers staying on once started and no other problems it still points to a relay, which if i was assigned to look at a faulty motor and circuit would start there).

I suppose i question the garage after a few problems i have had with previous Citreon garages, so it could just be me being paranoid.

Cheers

Stu

Guru

stulish wrote:C6405QE CONROD ASSY £271.99
This part is the motor and conrods as a complete unit and they are not available as separate units to Citroen dealers. You may find non-franchise repair centres having more flexibility in sourcing parts but Citroen dealers are stuck sourcing parts from Citroen.
stulish wrote:I have the car back now with the wipers working, the costs are as follows:

Investigation £80
C6405QE CONROD ASSY £271.99
C6500HV FUSE BOX £79.64

VAT £86.33
TOTAL £517.96
Thanks for the numbers.

Contributor

C3driver52 wrote:
stulish wrote:C6405QE CONROD ASSY £271.99
This part is the motor and conrods as a complete unit and they are not available as separate units to Citroen dealers. You may find non-franchise repair centres having more flexibility in sourcing parts but Citroen dealers are stuck sourcing parts from Citroen.
Thanks C3driver52,

I thought they could order each part not a whole assembly, but at least it clears up why the whole thing was changed.

Regards

Stu

Guru

stulish wrote:Thanks C3driver52,

I thought they could order each part not a whole assembly, but at least it clears up why the whole thing was changed.

Regards

Stu
Not a problem :)