Changing the Diesel fuel filter

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: Stretchy

Hi

A merry christmas to all C3 owners

Does anyone have step by step instructions for changing the diesel filter on a 52 plate C3 1.4 HDi 8v?
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi Stretchy,

I don't have a step-by-step guide to changing the fuel filter on an 8 valve Diesel Citroen C3,

but, its quite straight forward and here (from memory) are the main steps you need to take.

This is the Fuel filter for an early C3 8v Diesel

Drain down the filter by attaching some pipe to the fuel outlet at the bottom of the filter (as you do when you drain the water out at each engine oil change) and drain out the water and the diesel into a container (to be discarded). If you don't attach the pipe expect diesel to contaminate the clutch!

Remove the screws that hold the air cleaner lid in position and remove the lid, this will give you access to the fuel filter.

The brake servo pipe is attached to the top of the filter, unscrew the bracket and pipe from the filter.

Remove the the 2 pipes from the filter by squeezing the tabs on the side (the inlet and outlet pipes). Cover or plug the pipes to prevent contaminant ingress.

There is one screw that holds the filter to the car, unscrew this. Then manoeuvre the filter from the clip.

If there is any wiring connected to the heater or water sensor, disconnect these.

The fuel filter should now be free and can be removed to allow access to the water sensor and fuel heater which may need to be used on the new filter.

If you don't yet have a new fuel filter for your Citroen C3 1.4 HDi 8v, then you can get one from here:
Citroen C3 1.4 HDi 8V fuel filter or here Fuel filter for CITROEN C3 2002(on) 1.4 8v HDi Diesel

The 16v Citroen C3 1.4 HDi fuel filter looks completely different

and is available here Fuel Filter - Citroen C3 1.4 hdi Diesel 16 V (2002 on)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Stretchy

Arthur
Thanks for the reply-what do I need to do with priming the system, I read somewhere about squeezing the tube like thing on front left of engine to prime filter??

Stretchy
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hello Stretchy
I read somewhere about squeezing the tube like thing on front left of engine to prime filter??
Yes, the manual prime is on the left near the screen wash filling point. (on the 16v remove the top plastic engine cover)

Squeeze the bulb a few times untill it stiffens slightly (you will feel a resistance to squeezing).

Doing this will manually pump some diesel into the filter.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: mairtin

hello folks
just wondering is the changing of a diesel fuel filter in a 1.6hdi 90hp c3 Picasso(2010) the same as shown in this post on c3 fuel filter, and thank for all the info on the c3, great website

Mairtin
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi Mairtin

I would say its very close if the filter looks the same on the C3 16v HDi as on the Picasso HDi. I think they will be mounted and used in the same way. There may be a few differences, but knowing Citroen, not too different.

The picasso 1.6 diesel came in different engine configurations and if the filters don't look the same, you may have the one that has a removable filter cartridge, it all works in a similar way, but you don't throw the filter housing away when changing it and the mounting fixings are different.
My Name: AgilePeanut

Year: 2004 (54)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 150000

Hey guys.

I did my first service on my Citroen and I changed the fuel filter today. I pumped the bulb and after a while it stiffened and I was able to start and drive it. Its a few hours later and it wont start. I'm squeezing the bulb but its not going stiff. I hear what sounds like air in the filter. I have checked and the fuel lines are not leaking. Does anyone know what might be wrong?

I've been reading up and I think I have an airlock. Most diesels have an air bleed screw but does the c3 hdi have one and where is it?

Never mind. I found the air release valve and managed to get the air out of the system. Its starting now
My Name: jesgatt

Mileage: 120000
DPF: Yes

Could you please guide me where I can find the bleeder valve because I have the same problem after replacing the fuel filter.
Thanks