changing diesel injectors

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: cvloenen

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 155000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hi C3CAR, I do have Lexia, not looking forward to trying it tho as it goes so slow on my laptop, like watching paint dry, and it often doesnt work and need to try again and again.
Yes I did disconnect the MAP Sensor, when I took of the inlet manafold to change injector. Does that cause problems?
Thanks Ian
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

cvloenen wrote:
Yes I did disconnect the MAP Sensor, when I took of the inlet manafold to change injector. Does that cause problems?
Thanks Ian
There is a topic here https://citroenc3owners.com/diesel-citro ... t1057.html, that brings up the MIL under accleration caused by MAP sensor problem, it was a bit of a stab in the dark, because you mentioned removing the EGR pipe, I guessed the MAP had been disturbed too. You could have a poor seal on the inlet manifold?

Considering the car worked before the injector change, I am assuming the problem lies with something that happened during the injector change. Double checking the MAP sensor plug is ok and the connection is good may be a good use of time, but if can persevere with lexia, you can get much more information about the car than I can guess at.

Experienced Member

Hi, only interference I made with the MAP sensor during injector change was to unplug it, would be a coincidence it it now has gone faulty, I took it of this afternoon to look at it, not much to see, and have put it back on again. Checked all fuel pipes around engine again, nothing damaged or unplugged,
Inlet manafold o ring seals were all replaced on rebuild.
Pulling of the MAP plug or/and the MAF plug makes no difference to how the cars runs at the moment.
Do you know, in a properly running car, what effect disconnecting either these plugs makes to engine performance?
Its really odd, I'm sure theres somethin simple thats wrong.
Thanks Ian

Guru

cvloenen wrote:Pulling of the MAP plug or/and the MAF plug makes no difference to how the cars runs at the moment.
Do you know, in a properly running car, what effect disconnecting either these plugs makes to engine performance?
I know if you pull the MAF then the car doesn't accelerate so readily, it idles ok, just doesn't feel like its got 16v. You also get an error code stored but no MIL. With the MAF disconnected some default settings are used in place and for the temperature part its 50 degrees C.

I can pull the MAP when I get my hands on a 1.4 16v, hopefully later today and let you know how it goes.

cvloenen wrote:Hi, only interference I made with the MAP sensor during injector change was to unplug it, would be a coincidence it it now has gone faulty,
Sorry, I wasn't expecting the sensor itself to suddenly go faulty with unplugging, but the C3 does suffer from poor connections on its electrical parts. I was thinking maybe the plug was making a poor electrical contact with the sensor after it had been disturbed.
cvloenen wrote:Its really odd, I'm sure theres somethin simple thats wrong.
I agree :)

Guru

C3CAR wrote:I can pull the MAP when I get my hands on a 1.4 16v, hopefully later today and let you know how it goes.
No change in driveability with the MAP disconnected. No MIL shows up on a short drive of rapid acceleration up a hill, overrun down the hill and some normal driving through back streets.

Lexia reports P0108 for MAP disconnected, but I couldn't notice a difference in the drive.
P0108 Citroen C3 diesel MAP fault
P0108 Citroen C3 diesel MAP fault
and gives some advice for fault finding (other than just plug the thing back in)
P0108 MAP faults diagnosis
P0108 MAP faults diagnosis

I didn't get any lack of power or smoking with the MAP disconnected
P0108 lack of power and smoking
P0108 lack of power and smoking

Experienced Member

thanks C3CAR, the lack of power and poor acceleration my car has sounds similar to what you were getting when you pulled the MAF, interesting also that when I pull the MAF there's no difference, so could be a problem there, I'll try and get my lexia kit going. I'm also waiting for a new fuel filter.

Guru

cvloenen wrote:the lack of power and poor acceleration my car has sounds similar to what you were getting when you pulled the MAF, interesting also that when I pull the MAF there's no difference, so could be a problem there,
The test for MAF is to just pull the plug, if there is no difference then you can suspect the MAF as faulty.

Experienced Member

Car sorted? Well I took it for a run, reving high to keep it going fast, management light was on then it went of after about 3 miles during which car felt normal, then everytime i lowered revs management light came on with only 20% power, took it for long blast on dual carriageway and now its fine, ideling and full power! so theres a mystery. Newly fitting injector seems to have done the job aswell, not smoking now.

I was trying Lexia on the car this morning, took about 2hrs to finally get connection with car! Anyway I cant find how to get the cars running performance variabbles, such as iar flow etc? How do you get these parameters on Lexia, I got to a stage where it appears to ask for your ECU make, theres about 8 options but there Bosch and Siemens, the car has a Delphi? Once you get past that stage is that when you can access the performance variables?

Thanks Ian

Guru

cvloenen wrote:Car sorted? Well I took it for a run, reving high to keep it going fast, management light was on then it went of after about 3 miles during which car felt normal, then everytime i lowered revs management light came on with only 20% power, took it for long blast on dual carriageway and now its fine, ideling and full power! so theres a mystery. Newly fitting injector seems to have done the job aswell, not smoking now.

I was trying Lexia on the car this morning, took about 2hrs to finally get connection with car! Anyway I cant find how to get the cars running performance variabbles, such as iar flow etc? How do you get these parameters on Lexia, I got to a stage where it appears to ask for your ECU make, theres about 8 options but there Bosch and Siemens, the car has a Delphi? Once you get past that stage is that when you can access the performance variables?

Thanks Ian

Sounds like good news! :D

If you get lexia connected to the car correctly it doesn't ask for ECU type as these are discovered automatically.
Citroen C3 engine real time stats from lexia
Citroen C3 engine real time stats from lexia
The real time statistics for the engine are in Diagnosis, Test by function, Power unit, Engine, Injection.

(there are other ways to get there too).

If your lexia asks for VIN, then you don't have a valid connection to the car :cry:

Experienced Member

Hi C3CAR, Lexia is picking up the car, it comes up with the VIN and asks if its correct, it is communicating, I did get to the Diagnosis menu with those options,Test by function, Power unit, Engine, Injection. I'll have to check it again to see whats happening.