Car Not Starting

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: suzieqte1

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 75000
Trim Level: Touch
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Hi Guys
Update on my non starting car .
Did finally get it started after a few hours -
eventually bump started it - as battery went into ECO MODE .
After about 5 minutes with foot on accelerator all fell back into place car now running fine.
Still a wee bit hesitant at 2000 revs then it takes off - still not sure what else to do as to this.
As I thought cleaning EGR etc would maybe cure it.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Still a wee bit hesitant at 2000 revs then it takes off - still not sure what else to do as to this.
As I thought cleaning EGR etc would maybe cure it.
Air filter? maybe turbo variable vane problem or MAF.

It would be best to read the error codes. This can help show you where the problem lies.
My Name: nixipixi87

Year: 2004 (54)
Mileage: 115000

Hi. Did a google search and found this. My car is having the same problem. What solved the problem in the end? as my car is now stuck on my friends driveway...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Nicci
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi Nicci
nixipixi87 wrote:My car is having the same problem
Quite a few things were done in the previous posts and there was more than one problem.

Can you describe the problem you have in some detail and what happened before the fault and what you have done since?

With this (and a few more questions) there may be light at the end of the tunnel.
My Name: nixipixi87

Year: 2004 (54)
Mileage: 115000

Hi. I'm hoping I am relaying the information correctly, apologies if not.
From the beginning: its a 54 plate 1.4hdi.
Was going into limp mode and garage diagnosed this as mass air flow sensor, this was replaced along with cam belt as this was due. When I picked it up from the garage the EML was still on, which they were aware of and said to monitor how it ran.
Whilst at a friends I mentioned this and he popped his diagnostics on it to see if he cleared the light it would stay off... it did until a few hours later when I went to go home. Put it on diagnostics again and also showed glow plug fault (have no idea what codes though). So he said he'd replace glow plugs and clear EGR valve as this could be contributing to air flow sensor fault?
On removing glow plugs turns out only one was working and another was snapped. This has since been drawn into the cylinder? somehow, but after some fishing around with a magnetic wire unable to be located :( on hitting one of the other old glow plugs with a hammer it flattened easily and they are hoping it has disintegrated... hmmmm.
Now the car wont start. If easystart is used it will, but wont run without. It has been checked for air leaks, tried to be bumped started whilst being towed (this apparently only worked downhill but wouldn't stay running). Got a guy coming tomorrow with his diagnostics from the garage he works in to see if that picks anything up.

Have been advised by a mobile mechanic (also family but lives nowhere near us) to check:
1st. Fuel pressure needs to be checked must be over 200bar or it will not start. You can check fuel pressure using a diagnostic machine in live data.
2nd. Using easy start spray into air intake to see if it will run off that if so its a fuel issue if still will not start a compression check will need to be done to and a cylinder leakage check.
3rd. As you have just had a cambelt done it is worth checking the timing again as if timing is out then that will cause it not to start cambelt might if slipped one or two teeth making the start of injection on fuel pump being out.

Any help advice would be great as I am now carless, stressed and relying on my work colleagues for lifts.

Im hoping this makes sense to you.

Thanks
Nicci
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

nixipixi87 wrote:Put it on diagnostics again and also showed glow plug fault
I would ignore the glow plug codes, its probably the relay and the plugs, gets expensive and provides no extra starting help.

nixipixi87 wrote:When I picked it up from the garage the EML was still on,
The codes need to be read, and investigated. Use the lexia clone tool to get the codes causing the MIL

nixipixi87 wrote:Have been advised by a mobile mechanic (also family but lives nowhere near us) to check:
1st. Fuel pressure needs to be checked must be over 200bar or it will not start. You can check fuel pressure using a diagnostic machine in live data.
Yes, it could well be worn injectors dropping the fuel pressure. Common on the high mileage ones....

nixipixi87 wrote:2nd. Using easy start spray into air intake to see if it will run off that if so its a fuel issue if still will not start a compression check will need to be done to and a cylinder leakage check.
It a fuel fault as you said it runs off easy start
nixipixi87 wrote: As you have just had a cambelt done it is worth checking the timing again as if timing is out then that will cause it not to start cambelt might if slipped one or two teeth making the start of injection on fuel pump being out.
It won't take much to check this, but the injection pump doesn't work this way, so it may just be a wasted hour. Diagnostics would show up CAM and CRANK synchronisation faults.

After your diagnostics, and it point to a fuel pressure issue, try a leakoff test (how to here) to identify a faulty injector - it may even be the one that had the broken glow plug ;)