C3 SX refuses to start

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: Si_polly

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 55000
Trim Level: Touch
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

:cry:
Hi, A tale of woe.
Started off one day and there was no power steering. This had happened a couple of times before to which a garage advised that all I needed to do was disconnect the battery for a couple of seconds and it would reset. Worked fine. This time I did it again and the car then refused to start. Citroen quoted me £1400 for a new ECU. I sent mine off to get it reconditioned. Still didn't work, and the side lamps kept on, plus rear window wiper works on opening doors and switching on ignition. Got another garage to look at it, they tried fitting a second hand ECU/BSI matched but couldn't get it to work. After many months I gave up with them and got the car back home.

Purchased another second hand ECU/BSI and key code transponder. Purchased Lexia. Cleared all faults. Car still not starting. Only anomalies are that the EGR valve and turbo valve do not click when I do the actuator tests for the ECU.

Lexia reports matched BSI/ECU, unlocked ECU and recognised key (although not managed to get the remote locking to function). When cranking fuel pressure is ok but there is "0 mg/cp output injected" registered, nor any "Air Flow demanded 0mg/cp".

So it looks like everything is fine, it just doesn't want to give the engine any diesel! But the side lights stay on, and the back window keeps waving at me...

Any ideas? Anyone had any experience of swapping out the ECU/BSI?

Only other thought is that I haven't been able to reset the BSI with the remote key not working...

Car is a 2003 SX 1.4 HDI, 16V. Has been a super little car until this 'mare possessed it.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Welcome to the forum Si_polly.
Si_polly wrote:This had happened a couple of times before to which a garage advised that all I needed to do was disconnect the battery for a couple of seconds and it would reset.
I would not advise this procedure. If you want to disconnect and reconnect the battery, I suggest anyone uses this procedure, which helps to protect the BSI and ECUs.

Si_polly wrote:Purchased another second hand ECU/BSI and key code transponder. Purchased Lexia. Cleared all faults. Car still not starting. Only anomalies are that the EGR valve and turbo valve do not click when I do the actuator tests for the ECU.
My EGR won't click, but the Turbo electrovalve can be clearly heard in the engine bay under lexia test.

Si_polly wrote:But the side lights stay on, and the back window keeps waving at me...
These are both driven directly by the BSI. Which is odd as you have changed the BSI. You have lexia, you can use it to investigate these problems to see, at least, if the computer wants them on or is aware of them being active.
Si_polly wrote:Lexia reports matched BSI/ECU, unlocked ECU and recognised key (although not managed to get the remote locking to function). When cranking fuel pressure is ok but there is "0 mg/cp output injected" registered, nor any "Air Flow demanded 0mg/cp".
I would check fuses in the engine bay fuse box (BSM) https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-t ... -t157.html make F15 (15A) and F8 (20A) a focus of attention and not worry about the remote central locking for now.

Lexia screen capture (ALT+PrtSc) then paste into paint can save a fair bit of typing if you attach the pictures to this topic.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Si_polly

Year: 2003 (03)
Mileage: 55000
Trim Level: Touch

Ok - sorry for delay, my last post seems to have failed.

I checked the Engine bay fuse box and all ok, as it had some electronics I also purchased another one and replaced it to see if that was the issue. No change. Still refuses to start. Does not send any fuel demands to the injectors.

I disconnected the Camshaft sensor and this was not detected as a fault by Lexia. Checked that the wiring signal went to the correct socket/pin on the Engine
ECU. E2 on the 48 way, continuity ok. Still doesn't start or send any fuel demands. Engine revs are picked up by Lexia.

totally baffled. Will submit a lexis scan under cranking later...
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Citroen C3 HDi 16v Lexia with Engine Runnning
Citroen C3 HDi 16v Lexia with Engine Runnning
This one is of a 16v HDi on a 2002 with the engine running, shows Airflow demanded as 0mg/cp, I don't know why. But the fuel injected is shown.

Engine RPM has an effect on the fuel injected. If the Engine RPM is too low at engine start, you won't get any fuel.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)