Blue, White Smoke. Either turbo or fuel injector

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: midiman

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 141000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hi I need some help.

I tried starting my up car up the other day and it has some terrible problems. It's a 52 reg C3 1.4Hdi 16v.

Clouds of blue/white smoke bellowed out of the exhaust, it was stuttering and sounding rough.

It started to get better as the car warmed up.

But, if you take it to 2000rpm it starts kicking out clouds of smoke.

The garage can't identify what it is and they want to do a Engine Compression Test. Because of their miss diagnosis I have already spent £300 on a full service and gasket set.

I can't afford to throw money at the car so I'm trying to identify what it could be.

They say that there is a lot of play in the Turbo and that a new one will cost me £700 exc fitting or £1000 for 4 new injectors.

What should I do? The car is around 12 years old and it has covered 107,200 miles. I've got a friendly mechanic who will be able to fit the parts, but I need to work out what it is.

Turbo?
Fuel Injectors?
Engine?

Please help.

Thanks
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi midiman

As you have found, just throwing money at the C3 just gets you nowhere (except a bit poorer).

I suggest some diagnosis. First step - get the codes out of the ECU, use Lexia

Take a note of all the codes (screen capture), clear the codes, run the car around and then finally get the codes again. Get the full description and the 'P' code. These can help identify where the problem lies.

There is a topic on Turbo strip down and repair on a C3 here and one on removing injectors on the C3.
The car is around 12 years old and it has covered 107,200 miles.
I don't see a good reason to fit brand new injectors to a car of 12 years old. You can get the injectors tested and repaired if necessary to save the expense of fitting 4 new injectors. See here - injector testing and repair

A quick and cheap job would be to disconnect and clean with some Contact Cleaner all the sensor connections. Crank sensor, cam sensor, map sensor and anything else that look like its a plug and socket on a sensor.

Experienced Member

Thanks.

The problem with the Lexia is the cost, as I don't know if I will need it again.

I took it to my mechanic friend and he seems to think that it's driving great. So he doesn't think that it's a compression problem.

He wants to see how it is when it is cold. So I will know a bit more at the weekend. But, he thinks that it could all be pointing to one of the injectors because it is missing.

I was thinking of putting some Injector Cleaner into the system to see what that does.

It's only happens at low revs (2000 - 3000 rpm) and it's not happening all the time.

If you give it a good boot and go above 3000 rpm it's fine. I took it on the motorway today and it was pulling away without a puff of smoke.

I've had all the filters changed, fuel, oil, pollen etc. They have also sealed the head with a new gasket so it should all be fine.

If I have to get the injectors out I will need to get them checked. I don't think that I can afford to replace all of them. Unless I can get a good recon set for the right price.

Guru

midiman wrote:Thanks.

The problem with the Lexia is the cost, as I don't know if I will need it again.

I took it to my mechanic friend and he seems to think that it's driving great. So he doesn't think that it's a compression problem.

He wants to see how it is when it is cold. So I will know a bit more at the weekend. But, he thinks that it could all be pointing to one of the injectors because it is missing.

I was thinking of putting some Injector Cleaner into the system to see what that does.

It's only happens at low revs (2000 - 3000 rpm) and it's not happening all the time.

If you give it a good boot and go above 3000 rpm it's fine. I took it on the motorway today and it was pulling away without a puff of smoke.

I've had all the filters changed, fuel, oil, pollen etc. They have also sealed the head with a new gasket so it should all be fine.

If I have to get the injectors out I will need to get them checked. I don't think that I can afford to replace all of them. Unless I can get a good recon set for the right price.
A Lexia clone costs around £80 (here on ebay) and has a resale value if you want to pass it on. It could have saved you the £300 on misdiagnosis. Ok, so its going to take a weekend to install and lean to use.

I wouldn't change all the injectors unless they were all bad.

If you add injector cleaner, like this redex stuff its been suggested that an overdose can help in some situations. Add a measure or two of the cleaner to a low tank, rather than a full tank of fuel as directed by the instructions. You may waste some cleaner, but I think the theory is to give the fuel system a concentrated deep clean initially.

I have used the diesel redex myself when the idle got a tiny bit rough. Following the instructions and after a tank the unevenness has gone.

https://citroenc3owners.com/diesel-citro ... -t866.html in this topic, arthurdaly recommends the Wynns Injector Cleaner Diesel for his MPG problems.

Experienced Member

That's what I used the other day, but I put in at 3/4 of a tank.

I don't know why they suggest that you put it in a full tank. I was thinking that it makes more sense to put it in with less diesel in. That way it's more concentrated.

It hasn't done much so far.

I will try and post a video of the problem so you can see.

Guru

Thanks, hopefully someone will recognise your troubles.

Experienced Member

C3driver52 wrote:
Thanks, hopefully someone will recognise your troubles.
I didn't have time to take a video. But, I have attached a photo of the head.
c3.jpg
The MPG is down and it's not burning the fuel correctly. The mechanic that came round doesn't think that it's the turbo and everything else appears to be ok.

Everything is pointing to the injectors, but we cant be sure which ones???

It could be a case of taking them all out, and getting them tested.
My Name: Adam

Top Contributor
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 93000
Trim Level: Touch

Get a lexia first though, if you have an old laptop with windows XP that would be great.

For reconditioned injectors... :)

https://www.commonraildiesels.com
sales@commonraildiesels.com
01254 388850

This was what I was quoted at the time.
EJBR01001A is the same as EJBR01001Z
110.00 GBP each + 30.00 GBP refundable Surcharge + Vat
Standard Delivery 8.00 GBP + Vat
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Experienced Member

Hi,