2003 1.4 hdi puffs out white smoke after around 4 miles

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: andy1963

Hi help please.
I have a Citroen c3 which seems to have developed a problem car starts and runs fine but after around 4 miles it seems to puff out white smoke which doesn't last very long at all then seems to stop but not sure if it still is smoking slightly only to puff out again at what seems irregular intervals oil level does drop over a period of time. Any ideas ?
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hello andy1963,

Possibly a worn turbo oil seal?

You don't say how many miles the engine has done, as if its a fair few, then things like turbo oil seal may be worn.

Does the car get its correct, regular oil changes with the correct grade of oil?

I assume its the 8 valve version of the HDi engine you are having trouble with (no intercooler)?

Other problems could be due to faulty/failing injector(s) to give white smoke.
My Name: andy1963

Hi yes 8 vale 70hp engine read out says 49k although I have my suspicions its done more, I'm not sure it is due an oil and filter change now put it off as just topped up oil with 2 litres of new oil
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hello andy1963

If the mileage, and hence the servicing is suspect. (That is servicing is not up to date), then its worth investigating having a service done to avoid some problems in the future.

Oil and filter changes (drain the water from the fuel filter too) are due every 20k miles, but this changes to every 12k miles if non approved oil is used, or lots of short journeys (school run) make up the mileage.

Draining out the used oil from the engine removes all the contaminants that have been collected by the oil. This helps to protect the engine from those contaminants. Changing the filter helps remove particles that have been trapped in the filter, which has a limited life. Adding fresh oil to old oil doesn't remove the contaminants.
andy1963 wrote:engine read out says 49k although I have my suspicions its done more
With white smoke puffing, it could have well done more. You can only know its due an oil change if you did the previous change. But if things are worn now, new oil isn't going to fix it.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)