[2002 1400cc]Diesel Injectors - Which bit needs changing?

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: Big_Adam

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: Not purchased yet
Engine Size: Not yet purchased
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Evening all.

I am an utter hammer and chisel mechanic, but get asked to do stuff for people as I got time and they have no money.

Friend of mine, their 2002 1400cc Diesel C3 has been acting under powered and died on them a few times. Had it checked at the local Citroen Garage and they say it needs new injectors.

Not touched direct injectors before, so I want to be sure I got this right.

On petrol cars, the injector is just a small ... say 2-3inch long bit that sits on a fuel rail and happily shoots fuel into the engine.

On diesel cars, its a great huge long lump because of the increased pressure?

Just when I googled 'C3 Diesel Injectors' I get many contradicting results. Not sure if the petrol injectors are the same as the diesel ones. That and the price for one is about £30 and the other £130.

Also can anyone suggest a cheap-ish place to get new injectors? Or should I pull the current ones and get them refurbished (heard you can do that).

Thanks for any information.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi Big_Adam, welcome to the forum
Big_Adam wrote:Had it checked at the local Citroen Garage and they say it needs new injectors.
That's quite a sweeping statement. I would do further diagnosis before changing injectors (because of the cost of injectors).

A leak off test can show up faulty injectors..

https://citroenc3owners.com/diesel-citro ... -t901.html

Big_Adam wrote:On petrol cars, the injector is just a small ... say 2-3inch long bit that sits on a fuel rail and happily shoots fuel into the engine.
The diesel injectors are metal, bigger and more expensive than the petrol ones because they operate at much higher fuel pressures. They are fed by a 'common rail' that is pressurised by the injection pump. Injector firing is electronically controlled by the engine ECU.
Big_Adam wrote:Just when I googled 'C3 Diesel Injectors' I get many contradicting results. Not sure if the petrol injectors are the same as the diesel ones. That and the price for one is about £30 and the other £130.
They are very different. There are 2 distinct diesel injectors fitted to the C3, ones found on the 8 valve and ones found on the 16v

Diesel injector (delphi - 16v)

Diesel injector (bosch - 8v)

Big_Adam wrote:Also can anyone suggest a cheap-ish place to get new injectors? Or should I pull the current ones and get them refurbished (heard you can do that).
There are no 'cheap' injectors, particularly the delphi ones for the 16v. You can get diesel injectors repaired, have a look at this link for a company providing that service ebay injector testing/repair

This topic shows removal of the delphi injectors:
https://citroenc3owners.com/diesel-c3-ti ... l-t12.html
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Big_Adam

Year: Not purchased yet
Engine Size: Not yet purchased
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: VTR+

Ah right, ta for the info Arfur Dent.

I'll give that all a read over during lunch. Sorry for the sweeping statement, I get told everything 2nd or 3rd handed (dropped it off at a proper Citroen garage, got told yesterday from the owner "they need replacing" and that was about it).