1.4HDi will not start easily at all, will take about 10-20 seconds

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: kentc3

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 111000
Trim Level: Touch
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Hello guys,

New here and new to the C3 mania :) :)
Used to have big cars... so having a small trendy little car is a nice change.

Bought the car and I have a few problems I need to sort out, I have done a few steps...

Problem is the following, the car will not start easily at all... will take about 10-20 seconds if you say 5 sec each cranking attempt to get the car going.
Once it starts there no cloud of smoke or excessive smoke at all. Runs normal. If you accelerate while stationary and neutral it will rev happily to the limiter and will hear the turbo spooling withough a problem. There will be a small puff of dark black smoke coming out when revs are high normal to all diesels I had before.
Now if I set off and drive the car... 1st gear will accelerate like a rocket! (8 out of 10 times...) and will hit the ? limiter just about 4500rpm??
2nd gear ... it is hit or miss with acceleration sometimes will go fast... sometimes will go slow and up to 4000.... then stay steady there... other times will go up to the limiter.
3-4-5th gears... now that interesting... accelerating will be slow 1mph-3mph increase per second...and will stay at 3000rpm will deny to go higher than that...
Top speed of the car seems to be 80ish MPH....?

I plugged in my OBD reader and Initially the car had the following codes :
P0002
P0089
P1207
P1351
P0401

I changed the fuel filter, air filter, cleaned the MAF sensor and removed the EGR valve and cleaned thoroughly... (EGR is a vacum operated one, the car has the Delphi system one).

I put everything back in again drove the car around and tried to take it through and MOT today.... So once back and an MOT failure (nothing major just a brake disk and right light aim to be adjusted... can do these easiliy over the weekend.

I plugged in my OBD reader and now have now these error codes....
P0002
P0089
P1207
P0401

Also I do understand that the glowplugs might be on the way out... but they are irrelevant to the starting of this type of engine they are there only to lower the emmisions on the start and make the engine quieter... (so I have read)

I would not think of being injectors at fault... as it would affect all the time and all the gears in theory...
I think it has to do with the fuel pressure... but before I change the pump ... HDI Fuel Pump Regulator Sensor making any sense to change first?

Any advise will be appreciated guys.

Cheers
Vasilis.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Welcome to the forum kentc3
I would not think of being injectors at fault... as it would affect all the time and all the gears in theory...
I think it has to do with the fuel pressure... but before I change the pump ... HDI Fuel Pump Regulator Sensor making any sense to change first?
I would check the injectors with a Leakoff test - How do I perform a leak off on a 1.4HDi? topic is here. An excessively leaking injector will run correctly, but inhibit starting because the fuel rail pressure is too low.

P1207 Fuel pressure regulation electrovalve Short circuit to -VE

P0002 Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit Range/Performance

P0089 Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Performance

point to fuel pressure and considering the mileage, you could easily have a worn injector or two in need of some Citroen delphi injector testing and repair service (ebay) which would be many times cheaper than any new injectors. They will take your injectors in, test and report back on what needs to be done (if anything) to them to get the injectors back to tip top performance.