1.4hdi engine cutting out

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: Nico1

Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2006 (06)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 150000
Trim Level: NA
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi!

Can I ask you what you think?
We have a 2006 c3 citroen 1.4hdi with 262k kilos on the clock.
Car driving fine and then suddenly without warning cuts out.
Then in the past sometime while cutout excallurate again.
Sometimes this happen 2 to 3 times in 1 trip, other times you can drive for hundreds of km without any cutout.
Sometimes it cut out to a standstill where it seems that you need to bleed the diesel system.
The problem become worst and it cut out while driving without any luck to get it started. We tow the car home try to running start without success.
Then the next day I bleed the diesel system and off we go for 100km and then same thing.
We cant get it started again, tow it to citroen dealer, diagnostic done. Show the crank sensor faulty. Replace it. Car started. Same problem after 300km.
Car cut out, tow it for 100m, starts, driving for 20km, cuts out, towing again nearly 2km starts driving little bit, cut out, towing 50m start. Fine with starting in the morning, After cutting out, while trying with the starter, the engine will turn nice and quickly but with no luck to start.
We also replace the cam sensor. Was not the problem.
We had the same problem 100k ago when the key have a transmitting problem.
Yesterday while idling the engine cut out, and trying with the starter struggle but after 10s started again.
Citroen dealer told me that if the diesel supply was the problem, it will struggle to start in the morning or after standing a long period.
I read on google that the egr wont cut the engine but rather give poor performance.

What do you think?

Questions.
Does the key transmit during the whole trip?
The key can transmit and then skip or stall to transmit causing the car to cut out?
Does that cut off the fuel supply?

Will so glad if you can give me some advice where to find the fault.
Much appreciated
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Nico1 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:14 am citroen dealer, diagnostic done. Show the crank sensor faulty. Replace it. Car started. Same problem after 300km.
Hello

You had diagnostics that identified a fault, changed a part but the fault remained.

The next thing to do is do diagnostics again.

You need to find the fault to cure the problem.

It is possible to read engine faults yourself without the expense of a Citroen dealer by using a Diagbox/Lexia clone tool (information here).

You can use your own lexia/diagbox to read the codes many times. delete them, check them and run tests in live data.

This is how you can solve this problem with your engine cutting out randomly.
My Name: zebedee2001

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2009 (59)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 130000
Trim Level: Airdream+
Engine name: DV4 diesel (70 PS)

Sounds simialr to the problem I had which turned out to be the fusebox under the bonnet. Have a read of the thread questions-about-a-diesel-powered-citroe ... 5-s10.html