1.4 hdi diesel starting fault

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: electraglide1600

hi, i have a 2003 c3 1.4hdi diesel which has developed an intermittent starting fault.
the sequence of events goes as follows:-

first of all the central locking on the key fob fails to operate so have to unlock manually, engine turns over at what appears to be normal speed but will not fire.

to cure i open the bonnet disconnect the battery, leave disconnected for 20 seconds or so, reconnect the battery then it starts instantly first turn of the key.
once turned off the remote central locking works as it should.

the key fob battery is new and the cars battery is fine, also there is no "eco mode" displayed when this problem occurs. now apart from having to reset the clock/date every time i do this i am worried that one day this "fix" will fail to work.

:?: any ideas or experience of similar problems would be much appreciated.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi electraglide1600

It sounds like an immobiliser problem. My advice would be to connect it to a Lexia and see if there are any codes relating to immobiliser.

Its odd that the central locking fails too, do you have the original Citroen factory radio fitted?
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

hi, thanks for the reply. it does still have the original radio. excuse my ignorance but what is a lexia? and if it is an immobiliser fault what are the options for repairing? cheers, rod.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

it does still have the original radio
OK, we can ignore that bit then.
excuse my ignorance but what is a lexia?
Sorry, lexia is a copy of the tool that citroen dealers used to access the computers in the car. Its a hardware interface and a software solution that is run on an old laptop. The hardware connects the laptop to the diagnostic socket in the glove box. Using this tool will allow you to interrogate the computers and read the stored fault codes.

The problem doesn't sound like any of the usual problems and sounds very much like a computer locking up (disconnecting the battery reboots the computer). The BSI plays a large part in the security side, but the engine ECU provides the immobiliser lock out function. Lexia can communicate with both of these devices (and more) and this would be my starting point.

The BSI:
The BSI inside story

The diagnostic socket in the glovebox:
Citroen C3 OBD2 port location
Citroen C3 OBD2 port location
Citroen_C3_OBD2_port_location.jpg (37.48 KiB) Viewed 75 times
Lexia (interface):
lexia tool
lexia tool
Lexia (software)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

hi, thanks again for the quick reply. i'll try to get it plugged in to find any codes. many thanks, rod.

forgot to say that the car emits three beeps when the ignition is switched on to position two. any ideas?
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

3 beeps could be seatbelt not buckled for driver, maintenance due, or any other warning the car wants to bring to your attention. Nothing to worry about :)

(Although I must admit I don't know exactly what causes it, mine does it, sometimes, but never causes a problem)

thanks for the reply. i've started the car every day this week and (hopefully without tempting fate) it's behaved itself.