1.4 HDI 16V White smoke after difficult starting :(

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: housemartin

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 96000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Hi,
Just read you post and I have the exact same problems.
Have you fixed it or given up?

I have been cleared the P0203 faults a couple of times with the lexia, then the problem goes away for about 5,000 miles before returning again. The car runs smoothly between resets. It give 60+mpg and pulls well up the hil with good turbo boost and no rattling.

However, when the P0203 fault occurs, the car takes longer to start emitting a cloud of smoke when it finally starts. It then runs like a bag of old nails and has no power.

How can clearing a fault have such a dramatic change on performance?
It is almost as if Citroen have programmed it to run like a dog to make you take it to the garage.

I also have the eps and it always lights up when I get a injection fault so a lot of the faults are related.
The interesting thing is that the light comes on it is usually on the same bit of road about 5 minutes into my journey.
Maybe this is the periodic injector resetting.

One thing with all these fault clearance is that there are only 50 slots and I am onto number 40, so what happens when I hit 50, can I no longer clear the faults?

Cheers HM
My Name: Adam

Top Contributor
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 93000
Trim Level: Touch

Hi,
Replaced two injectors, cylinders 2 & 3. Had to clear the same codes for a few weeks, then they stoped coming up. Lexia would not let me write the new injector codes to the ecu, gave up after several attempts. Car's been running fine though.

Did get some strange code that came up. Can't remember the P number but it came up with "Low turbo inlet pressure", very bizzare. I didn't know how the ecu can calculate a pressure value with just the MAF inline before the turbo. Upper deck pressure is referred to as "boost", which is where the MAP sensor comes in after the compressor section and intercooler. But I would guess the wording should be "Low turbo output pressure" ?? I gave the variable vane actuator link a pull and a push on the turbo. (Bit stiff and was hard to move, think it's got a stiff spring in the actuator). All has been fine till my starter motor packed up the other day, need to tap the solenoid every time to get it to start. I've just come to expect these minor sags with the age and mileage, coming up to 100k now. Can't complain over awesome MPG and road TAX.

Adam.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi Adam,
Can't remember the P number but it came up with "Low turbo inlet pressure", very bizzare. I didn't know how the ecu can calculate a pressure value with just the MAF inline before the turbo.
Yours being the 16v engine, you will see there is a MAP sensor as well as the MAF. The 8v doesn't have the MAP.

This can explain how the ECU gets boost pressure and may prove useful at a later time.
Citroen C3 HDI MAP sensor location fitted
Citroen C3 HDI MAP sensor location fitted

Thanks for the update on your injector fix :)