1.4 16v HDi running poor P0401, limp mode.

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: mcentre

2003 Citroen C3 1.4 HDi 16v,

Car sounds spot on, idles nicely, leave it for a few minutes and the EML comes on putting it in limp mode ( 50mph on a flat if your lucky lol ) Ive had it read P0401 EGR poor flow, did a bit of browsing and thought here we go,

This is what I have done so far, EGR valve removed found to be a recent replacement and quite clean, so gave it another clean to be on the safe side, Ive replaced all vacuum rubber pipes as some were loose and thought that might loose vacuum, measured vacuum from servo feed and its measuring well and steady, wastegate working on the turbo, at idle there is no vacuum to EGR, there is vacuum input at the Electrovalve ( which appears to be replaced recently also ), MAP sensor has also been tested with a known good one, when should the egr valve ( electrovalve ) operate to allow vacuum to the EGR so as it operates? I bypassed the electrovalve and out the input vacuum feed direct to the EGR to make sure it worked, car didnt like it ( smoked & didnt want to be revved but this shown to me that there was a difference )

What actually measures the EGR flow?

As you can see its giving me a headache, but its not going to beat me, so any ideas or suggestions would be great

Tony
P0401 Citroen C3
P0401 Citroen C3
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi mcentre

If you are confident that you have the correct error code (the 16v is a funny system when it comes to generic codes). Its unlikely that the actual EGR is faulty, but more of a restriction in the pipe that is connected to the EGR.

I would remove the EGR pipe and clean all the bits that are part of the EGR system.

Have a look at this EGR on 16v C3 if you want to see some pictures of the pipe I am talking about.

Citroen C3 EGR valve location on engine
Citroen C3 EGR valve location on engine
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Hans Zarkov

Top Contributor
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 120000
Trim Level: Exclusive

Hi MCentre

Make sure your service items are OK - your air filter & fuel filter especially - my C3 had a similar fault, reporting as the EGR valve, but in fact was caused by an old fuel filter.

:)

John
My Name: kerabo

Contributor

I had the same problem with our C3 ,I changed the wastegate control valve but it was still the same . I found if I put a spring to help open the wastegate the car we-t much better. Then I found the like was a little loose onto the wastegate cylinder. Clamped that up it stopped the light 'oring on but still had turbo lag. I adjusted the length of the control rod to give a fraction more boost and its perfect now . Ken
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

If you are not sure if the EGR is giving issues, the easiest thing to do is blank it off with one of these egr blanking tools (link opens to eBay).

With the EGR blanked off, if its stuck open, close, or somewhere in between, the car still functions as normal, but without the emission reducing EGR, so remove the blanking plate when you have sorted things out :D

This doesn't fix the vacuum issues if the EGR is leaking on the vacuum side :(