Pluriel roof issue

If you need help with your C3 Pluriel, that seems specific to the Pluriel (like the roof), ask here. Engine and Transmission problem must be asked in the relevant topic for the problem. The Pluriel shares the same Engine, Gearbox, Brakes and Transmission as the other C3 models (see above for the correct section).
Forum rules
Questions about the Pluriel Roof system can be asked here
No engine, gearbox or running gear questions
Think: Pluriel roof and rear window jobs
Did you know the Pluriel shares the engines, gearboxes, electrical, audio system, suspension, steering and running gear with the early C3?
My Name: smac

Experienced Member
Model: C3 Pluriel - with or without roof
Year: 2009 (09)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 60000
Trim Level: NA
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: LHD (Europe)

Greetings everyone!
I just bought my first car, a second-hand 2009 C3 Pluriel - And I absolutely love it so far! However, I've got some issues with it.
My major problem is the roof - It behaves exactly like in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71zu3Po_SU4
Plus when I got it I couldn't open the boot (the button did nothing)... And as far as I can tell from 2 days of googling a great amount of Pluriel owners have experienced this issue...
I discovered there was a tiny piece of wood/wooden stick stuck between the rails and the roof, and I was able to remove some (but not all) of it, it seemed to be going slightly "easier" - Once I did it, I was able to get the roof all the way back, little by little (just like in the video), and then the boot opened just fine.
I then closed it back up (Some sections it would move normally, but I think I did have to go backwards and forwards a couple of times) - It did the machine gun sound when it reached the end and now it won't open at all (motor didn't make any sound when pressing the button, maybe it thinks it's open?). Also, again, the boot won't open (button does nothing). Is it possible that this has got to do with the tiny piece of wood? Or perhaps it just needs lots of lubricant (silicone spray or something)?
I'm hoping I'm just missing something - Since it was able to open all the way up and close back again.
I guess it was sitting with a disconnected battery for quite a while before I bought it, could this be related?
Thanks a lot in advance!
Stelios.

Experienced Member

Update!
I can now get the roof to go both up and down, little by little, but I can't get the boot open anymore.
I don't mind having to open up the roof little by little, but it'd be great if I could get the boot working too.
Would it be possible that it's both lack of lubrication in addition to an electrical issue?
Cheers :)
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

smac wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:38 am It did the machine gun sound when it reached the end and now it won't open at all
This is a broken motor drive. The brass drive slips on the metal runner drive. Sometimes due to the motor mountings breaking away.

All of the above appears in this Pluriel Roof issue investigation topic.

Guru

smac wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 6:45 pm Update!
Would it be possible that it's both lack of lubrication in addition to an electrical issue?
Cheers :)
A non opening boot is probably an electrical issue if it's not actually bent or damaged.

The boot release is computer controlled (BSI) :o

Experienced Member

Could it all just be an electrical issue?

It only slips (does the machine sound) if it reaches the very end and is unable to go any further - It'd be expected for it to slip. I'll try checking out the drive & motors anyway, although I doubt it'd work at all if this was the issue.
I guess resetting the BSI could help? It had been sitting at the dealer lot for quite some time with the battery disconnected, could this be related?
Generally it "feels" as if the car isn't aware of where the roof is positioned and whether it's open or closed. I read somewhere that there are some micro-switches to detect the roof's position, is it possible to test those out, and if so, how?
Cheers!

Guru

smac wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 3:36 pm Generally it "feels" as if the car isn't aware of where the roof is positioned and whether it's open or closed. I read somewhere that there are some micro-switches to detect the roof's position, is it possible to test those out, and if so, how?
Cheers!
have a look at Rear glass tailgate latches with microswitch topic for a picture of the microswitch.

Two ways to check switches in the C3.

1. test the switch while its disconnected with a multimeter set to continuity/ohms

2. Use lexia tool to read the BSI/ECU to see if it detects the switch position change.
My Name: julianmerak

Top Contributor
Year: 2005 (05)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Gearbox: SensoDrive

I am still trying to sort out why my roof doesn’t move and get the rear glass hatch unlatching . I have tested the roof motor ( works fine ) and tested the centre outer glass hatch handle microswitch ( also working fine )
I have an auto electrician coming on Tuesday and the plan is to check out the other microswitches and power to the tailgate. There are no obvious broken wires but of course I do have a problem somewhere. The roof cables look terribly worn to me too

Julian

Experienced Member

julianmerak wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 12:50 am I am still trying to sort out why my roof doesn’t move and get the rear glass hatch unlatching . I have tested the roof motor ( works fine ) and tested the centre outer glass hatch handle microswitch ( also working fine )
I have an auto electrician coming on Tuesday and the plan is to check out the other microswitches and power to the tailgate. There are no obvious broken wires but of course I do have a problem somewhere. The roof cables look terribly worn to me too

Julian
Let me know what happens!
I've been very busy lately and haven't been able to check mine out (neither the switches nor the roof cables), but hopefully I'll do so sometime within this week.
Hopefully it's just a switch and not the whole roof that needs replacing!

Experienced Member

I greased the sliders and every moving part I could come across with some lithium grease yesterday - The roof seems to be moving quite a bit more freely, but is still a bit "hesitant" at times (It's 100% perfect for the first 70?cm or so, then it gets a bit "stressed" - And when putting it back up it might skip a bit), so I'm guessing it probably is a mechanical issue after all.

But here's what I discovered:
It's mostly the passenger's side, the one that had (and still has some of) the little wooden stick stuck in between the rails and the roof, that seems to be a bit stressed at times (Possibly excessive wear on the cables/gears from the stress of having to drag that little piece of wood along?)
As I also found out, if you put the roof all the way down and then back up again, the passenger's side will be sliiightly "behind" the driver's side; Here's what I mean:
I didn't have a ruler or tape measure at hand, so here's a comparison using a tube of grease:
Whereas the tube will fit almost perfectly inside the gap left on the passenger's side of the roof:
Pluriel roof gap - small
Pluriel roof gap - small
It won't do so on the driver's side (The gap is shorter by a cm or two):
Pluriel roof gap - Large
Pluriel roof gap - Large
which I guess confirms that the passenger's side of the roof is more "stressed" than the driver's side...

I tried getting to the gears that drive the roof up & down to assess their condition & possibly lubricate them, but with no luck. I was only able to get the tailgate half-open manually, I couldn't even get the plastic that houses the third brake light off... Any ideas?
How expensive and/or difficult is it to replace the gears & cables, roughly? And how much time does it take?
Will a Citroen dealership or certified service provider handle it?
Alternatively, what's the ballpark for a complete rear top tailgate (with or without the glass) including the roof (I assume this would make assembly much easier?)

Cheers!

Guru

smac wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:45 pm Will a Citroen dealership or certified service provider handle it?
Yes, but they will charge you more than the cost of replacing the whole car :shock: :lol: :lol:
smac wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:45 pm How expensive and/or difficult is it to replace the gears & cables, roughly? And how much time does it take?
Spend a whole weekend on it because as you start to strip it down there will be other parts you find broken.

Cost, depends on if you get new parts and what parts you need or get used parts that are serviceable, neither of which will be particularly cheap.