Building a Pluriel Hardtop

If you need help with your C3 Pluriel, that seems specific to the Pluriel (like the roof), ask here. Engine and Transmission problem must be asked in the relevant topic for the problem. The Pluriel shares the same Engine, Gearbox, Brakes and Transmission as the other C3 models (see above for the correct section).
Forum rules
Questions about the Pluriel Roof system can be asked here
No engine, gearbox or running gear questions
Think: Pluriel roof and rear window jobs
Did you know the Pluriel shares the engines, gearboxes, electrical, audio system, suspension, steering and running gear with the early C3?
My Name: glend1450

Contributor
Model: C3 Pluriel - with or without roof
Year: 2005 (05)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 60000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: SensoDrive
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU5 16-valve (110 PS)

Like many (If not most) Pluriel owners, I am faced with a fabric roof which does not work. As I understand the history, most of the folding fabric roofs had failed by the fifth year (and were out of warranty). Now this did not worry me when I purchased it, as I have been running it as a Spider, with the roof arches in storage (they needed clear coat repair anyway). Now I have completed the new clear coat on the arch tops, I am turning my attention to my intended custom hardtop build. Since removing the entire fabric roof and disposing of it, I have been designing a hardtop replacement. As an experienced boat builder this seems possible. The roof arches have very nice recessed metal tracks (through which the fabric roof guides used to run, and jam). These tracks will serve as the mount system for the hardtop. I intend to document the build here, but it will take some time, as I wrestle with a bad shoulder at present. So stay tuned. The intention is that it will be removable, keeping in the spirit of the Pluriel multifunctional design, and light enough to be handled by one person. I will not be building something intended for high speed travel on the M1 in the rain, rather it will be an enclosed cabin capable of keeping the rain out on local shopping trips. Stay tuned. GD
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hello GD

Thank you for your idea.

Please do document the process, photos of before, during and after, measurements, and parts used, etc. I am sure you will generate plenty of interest from the Pluriel hard top retro fit project.

Good Luck!!

Contributor

Here are the first photos, showing the present state, with the fabric roof components removed. The rear glass section is folded down into the storage compartment, and I will look at how I can integrate that to the new roof. In the close up photos of the track section, you can see where I intend to put the T-pieces that will sit in the track. The new composite roof will attach to the T-pieces. The roof will not slide, other than sliding off to the rear for removal, as it will be one piece, no folding section (too complicated to build and maintain. I will start fabricating the track T-pieces soon. More to follow, but I am not in a hurry. It is summer here (Australia).
GD

Pluriel
Pluriel
Pluriel roof modification design
Pluriel roof modification design

Contributor

Update on the Hardtop build. I have removed the arches, for renewing the clear coat, and for trailing methods of hardtop attachment. As mentioned in the previous post, the original slide channel is ideal for inserting attachment points for the hardtop. I have attach a photo showing one concept, using a cabinet screw with a washer, that fits perfectly into the track. The screw in the photo is obviously too long, but it's what I had on hand for trial purposes. The nut side of the cabinet screw, which is flat with a hex key hole, will be used on the outside of the hardtop to pull the panel tightly onto the rubber seal. Photo is attached.
Attachments
20230207_144710.jpg