wouldn't start, and It will no longer lock, or open on the key.

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: midiman

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 141000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

C3CAR wrote:
Missing Lincs wrote:It clicks when I turn it over. But doesn't fire.
Click, click, click, click, click? when you turn the key and the engine doesn't turn over.

That's the solenoid, its due to a bad solenoid or poor battery voltage getting to the starter.
Hi,

Yes this is what is happening.

Click, click, click, click, click, nothing.

I was starting to think that it could be starter related, but how would that affect my central locking?

How do I check the power to the starter, or the solenoid?

Thanks
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

midiman wrote:
C3CAR wrote:
Missing Lincs wrote:It clicks when I turn it over. But doesn't fire.
Click, click, click, click, click? when you turn the key and the engine doesn't turn over.

That's the solenoid, its due to a bad solenoid or poor battery voltage getting to the starter.
Hi,

I was starting to think that it could be starter related, but how would that affect my central locking?

Thanks
Start at the battery - this is central locking and starter related. A cheap multimeter from amazon, set on DC Volts will show up a poor battery. But checking the battery connections are clean and tight is also a good start.

If you wanted to do a proper test on the battery, do a load drop test with this tool (amazon) and that will show up every bad battery.

If the battery is ok, then you will be looking at the solenoid and possibly changing both the starter and solenoid.

Experienced Member

Hi,

Thanks

Start at the battery - this is central locking and starter related. A cheap multimeter from amazon, set on DC Volts will show up a poor battery. But checking the battery connections are clean and tight is also a good start.

If you wanted to do a proper test on the battery, do a load drop test with this tool (amazon) and that will show up every bad battery.

If the battery is ok, then you will be looking at the solenoid and possibly changing both the starter and solenoid.
Whooooooahhhhh.

I decided to have a word with mechanic that works across the road from me, and he came over with a tester. It was pretty conclusive, and it said that I need to replace the battery.

Then he plugged a healthy battery onto my terminals and asked me to start the car.

It started first time without any issues, and he concluded that the starter motor sounded fine.

I' purchased a new battery and all is fine.

Apart from :

The central locking is no longer working, and I can't lock the car on the key.

It looks like the rear wiper motor has ceased. I can hear the replay clicking in the passenger foot well, but the wipers not moving
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

I'd say your key/locking problem is related to the codes you found at the start of the topic. Maybe investigate further with Lexia to find out if the car is picking up signals from the remote?

The rear wiper could be wiring, I'm thinking around the hinge on the tailgate possibly. Tracing and measuring is the only sure way to know, or you could just swap the motor for known good and hope it's that.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

Experienced Member

Missing Lincs wrote:I'd say your key/locking problem is related to the codes you found at the start of the topic. Maybe investigate further with Lexia to find out if the car is picking up signals from the remote?

The rear wiper could be wiring, I'm thinking around the hinge on the tailgate possibly. Tracing and measuring is the only sure way to know, or you could just swap the motor for known good and hope it's that.
Hi,

How would I go about seeing if the car is picking up the remote key signal in Lexia. What option would I have to look for?

You could be right about the rear motor. I need to see whether it is getting any current. I suspect it is the motor, but I can't be sure about it.

Thanks
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Its quite common for the rear wiper motors to fail, no repair, just change the whole unit like this one from ebay (here) and some of these rivets.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

midiman wrote:How would I go about seeing if the car is picking up the remote key signal in Lexia. What option would I have to look for?
BSI is a good place to start
BSI KEYS programming
BSI KEYS programming

Wipers in lexia
wiper control
wiper control
There will be something similar for the rear
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Experienced Member

Arfur Dent wrote:
midiman wrote:How would I go about seeing if the car is picking up the remote key signal in Lexia. What option would I have to look for?
BSI is a good place to start
BSI_KEYS-programmed-info.jpg

Wipers in lexia
last-screen-view-signals-wm.jpg
There will be something similar for the rear
Hi,

I managed to get the Lexia setup today, and the output for the engine immobiliser is exactly the same as your screenshot.

I replaced the battery in the key to see if it was that, but it still doesn't work.

Key 1 : Will start the car, but the remote locking doesn't work.
Key 2 : Will not start the car, and the remote locking doesn't work. (Could be that this key is damaged or has lost it's programming)

And I don't have the PIN Code to re-program the keys because it was never supplied with the vehicle.

Thanks

Experienced Member

I went out side and re-attempted to sync my key to the car and it's working again!!!

I don't know why it decided to work this time.

But i'm glad that it has.

I think I've had an issue with my car battery for some time, and it looks like replacing it has eradicated all of the starting issues that I was experiencing for the past couple of Winters.

The electrics on the car appear to be strong again, and my locking is working.

The key must have lost it's mapping somehow?

All I need to do now is get the spare key, and rear window motor sorted.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

midiman wrote:I went out side and re-attempted to sync my key to the car and it's working again!!!

I don't know why it decided to work this time.

But i'm glad that it has.

I think I've had an issue with my car battery for some time, and it looks like replacing it has eradicated all of the starting issues that I was experiencing for the past couple of Winters.

The electrics on the car appear to be strong again, and my locking is working.

The key must have lost it's mapping somehow?

All I need to do now is get the spare key, and rear window motor sorted.
Thanks for the update.