Windscreen Wiper Failure

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: bill sutton

Experienced Member

Yes me again,

Windscreen wipers this time, work for a few wipes then cut out. Managed to get home using a single wipe every 30 seconds or so, fuse intact and motor working fine, when it works

Any ideas

Desperate.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi bill, it could be the com2000 The COM2000 (or steering wheel stalks) - an inside look these are known to give problems. If you still have access to the lexia 3 system, you can try to monitor the stalk switch signal to observe if its good. If its bad then some com2000 units can be repaired, others just replaced.

COM2000 Repair available here (on ebay), but its a mine field trying to find a compatible unit.

If the com2000 signal shows up ok, then maybe the motor is on its way out, these have given trouble before, there is a suggested fix for non-working front wipers here Front Wipers Stopped - fix

Experienced Member

The story so far,

Wiper motor checks out ok on the bench, pin 1 earth, pin 2 12v feed from ignition, pin 3 12v control voltage slow speed, pin 4 12v control voltage high speed.

all fuses are intact but no 12v is getting to pins 3 & 4, so no windscreen wipers.
No relay can be heard clicking so I guess its either the relay in the bsi or the com 2000 not doing its business. How can I identify which one has failed without replacing random components until it works?

Experienced Member

OK, another wasted afternoon, but I think I'm getting somewhere.

All fuses intact, and current present all the way to the big 30A fuse No.17 in the engine bay fuse box. From there its supposed to feed pins 1 and 9 on the green connector supplying the fast or slow control voltages to the motor, but no current emerges. On the wiring diagram there is a symbol for a "solid state device" feeding two solenoids, so I am guessing that this is the problem and that the device is either shot and not triggering the relays or conversely, the relays are shot and not responding to the signal provided, but as there are two feeds involved and two relays (one fast speed and one slow?) I presume the controlling device is the cause, as, if it still worked, then at least one speed would work unless the two relays had blown simultaneously which they can't have as they can only have been running one at a time fast or slow, not both.

Does this sound plausible to anyone who knows about this sort of thing? I can cope with spanners but this electronic nonsense is another ball game.
Any how, If I am right then I am also pretty certain that a replacement fuse box is the solution as I assume they are not user serviceable, so a big thank you once again to Citroen for making a simple task incredibly and unnecessarily complicated.

Anyone got a spare fuse box? I can only guess at the price of a new one, £150 at least I'll bet. :evil:
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

I'm looking at the diagram for wipers for 2002 to 2005 models, the pins you mention appear to correspond, is this the correct vehicle?

From what I can see relay failure could be the cause. I'd suggest changing the wiper relays first as it should be relatively easy compared to changing the fusebox.

The first relay controls on and off, the second the speed. In my diagram its not clear whether its one relay with two coils and two contacts or two separate relays, if its two separate relays then the first one would be the suspect.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

Experienced Member

From what I can see relay failure could be the cause. I'd suggest changing the wiper relays first as it should be relatively easy compared to changing the fusebox.
Thanks MissingLincs, Is it possible to change relays? from my limited understanding I thought they were integral with the fuse box. Any idea where they might be? it would be a big relief not to have change fuse boxes if at all possible.

If the two relays do what you say, then my money is also on the on/off function as the switch between speeds would surely leave one speed or other working.
On the wiring diagram there is a symbol for a "solid state device" feeding two solenoids
I am still erring on this being the problem, as it controls both the relays, presumably in response to signals from the COM 2000, and I am assuming that this is integral and just printed on the circuit board in the fuse box. If by some miracle its an actual dedicated and replaceable thing then we're laughing :lol:

Experienced Member

Have rigged a 12v feed to the motor from the battery to pin 3, slow speed, I have to lift the bonnet but at least I can drive in the rain!!! The odd thing is it works whether the ignition is on or off which has me baffled to say the least.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

bill sutton wrote:The odd thing is it works whether the ignition is on or off which has me baffled to say the least.
This is correct as the big 30A fuse 17 in the engine bay is powered directly from the battery and not via the ignition key. The reason for this is to allow the car to 'park' the wipers after the ignition has been switched off.

If by some miracle its an actual dedicated and replaceable thing then we're laughing :lol:
The relay you are referring to in the diagram is soldered on to the circuit board that is part of the engine bay fuse box, its virtually impossible to repair. :cry:
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Experienced Member

its virtually impossible to repair
but breaks itself with ease :lol:
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

but breaks itself with ease :lol:
allegedly,

Its not been proved yet and I am not 100% sure that the fuse box is your problem.

I just read your PM, weather doesn't help :cry:

You have a fault with the heater blower too, what would the chances being they have a common cause? - did both the problems start at the same time?

Citroen C3 heater blower not working topic
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)