Windscreen Wiper Failure

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: bill sutton

Experienced Member

I don't think this is a serial number - 964398880 looks like a part number.
So do I look for a matching part number?
The Citroen C3 1.4 8v 2003 is listed as being fitted with a Siemens unit, from initial production with the same unit through to 2009.
Mines a 16v? does that make a difference?

I'm not really any the wiser as I still don't know whether to rely on BSM B-3, 964398880-00 or the new kid on the block, 6500Y3 to be assured of getting a part that A. fits in the box B. does what it should do in terms of functioning.

Many BSM B-3 fuse boxes are fitted to many vehicles, according to ebay listings, that makes me nervous as some are delphi, some are seimens some are from C3s

The part/serial number throws up very little on a google trawl

and 6500Y3 comes up with a photo of a BSM B-1 fuse box which looks identical to mine, is Seimens and may or may not work.

At £130, I can save at least £90 buying used, and if I had the money I'd buy one of each and sell two on but as I am skint, I only intend on having one shot at this and need to get it right first time.

Sorry to appear "picky" but see my front strut debacle if you need to understand my reticence,

How about this one ebay item no.140909354718, listed for a Peugeot 307? but not at that price!!!!!!!!!!!

or this one seimens T118470003 (same as mine) BSM B-3 (same as mine) £40! free postage, but listed for a Peugeot 206 Petrol!!!
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Mines a 16v? does that make a difference?
Sorry, I didn't realise. I will have another look to see.
Many BSM B-3 fuse boxes are fitted to many vehicles, according to ebay listings, that makes me nervous as some are delphi, some are seimens some are from C3s
I would take the ebay title with a big pinch of salt. Same for googleing '6500Y3' which throws up the wrong units. I think the 'words' BSM-B3 and 6500Y3 has become a general term to describe all fuses boxes found in the engine bay on a C3, even if they are 6500Y3 or not.

I'm not really any the wiser as I still don't know whether to rely on BSM B-3, 964398880-00 or the new kid on the block, 6500Y3
That's my fault for not making my thoughts clear, I think you need to find the car that is the right age and spec, then extract the fuse box from it to guarantee you have a 6500 Y3 BSM-B3.

As you have found, doing a search for 'BSM-B3' brings up all sorts with unknown compatibility. But find a (yet to be checked...C3 1.4 2002 to 2009) and get the fusebox from that and you can be much happier knowing that its going to work.

C3driver52 wrote:I will have another look to see.
Doing it now...

Guru

bill sutton wrote:Mines a 16v? does that make a difference?
Oh, yes I see all 16 of them :)

having 16 valves doesn't change the fuse box fitted according to the part numbers I can see.
Updated :oops: version. C3driver52 wrote:The Citroen C3 1.4 16v 2003 is listed as being fitted with a Siemens unit, from initial production with the same unit through to 2009. The citroen parts description for that model is 6500Y3 (6500.Y3). This same part number also appears as a siemens BSM-B3 in the petrol (1.4i) C3 from production right through to 2009, when a delphi unit is fitted with part number 6500Y1.

With such a wide usage, I think sticking to Siemens BSM-B3 from a pre 2009 C3 will be fine.

The C2 (C3's little sister) has a Siemens 6500Y3 fitted to the CAN/VAN (early) 1.4 diesels, which widens your search. I wouldn't be surprised to see 6500.Y3 in the 207 and 1007, but I don't have any details on those models.

Experienced Member

I think you need to find the car that is the right age and spec, then extract the fuse box from it to guarantee you have a 6500 Y3 BSM-B3.
And if it turns out to be Delphi, it should still work?

Guru

And if it turns out to be Delphi
According to Citroen, delphi units were not fitted to the C3 1.4 Hdi 16v and 8v and 1.4 petrol until after 2009, so that will never happen.

If someone had previously fitted the wrong fuse box, then had to have the roof chopped off to land the insurance write off in the auto parts recyclers, then you would have to assume that it worked?

If you contact someone breaking their C3, specify that you don't want it if its got Delphi written on it.

There is this guy on eBay breaking one, he has his phone number in the listing, nice colour too :) nor sure if its the right picture though.

This listing for a 2005 CITROEN C3 DESIRE 1.4HDi says to contact him for a part from the car and another another CITROEN C3 HDI 2004 invites you to contact them for parts off the car. None of these cars (according to my access to citroens records) were ever fitted with the delphi unit from the factory and were fitted with the same fuse box as yours.

OK, so maybe not the green one in the snow, looking at the front of it, there is no fuse box left :oops:
C3 for parts - no front bumper
C3 for parts - no front bumper
Image thanks to Auto Parts Coatbridge.

Experienced Member

I think you need to find the car that is the right age and spec, then extract the fuse box from it to guarantee you have a 6500 Y3 BSM-B3.
Guess what guys, I ignored all/most of your suggestions and bought an identical fuse box, ie seimens BSM B-3 with the same part number/s but from a C5 ebay listing 261219166301 of unknown year. Result, sorted for £36 inc VAT and Postage.

Just goes to confirm my suspicions that Citroen are deliberately out to obfuscate and confuse people, to prevent them from attempting their own repairs and boost their income accordingly, well, they failed, again. :D
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Result, sorted for £36 inc VAT and Postage.
Great news! Well done!
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Experienced Member

Even greater news! It's turned the MIL off and taken itself out of limp mode. Why the windscreen wipers should have any effect on the engine management is beyond me, just another example of a vehicle being too complicated for its own (or anyone else but Citroens) good.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

It's turned the MIL off and taken itself out of limp mode. Why the windscreen wipers should have any effect on the engine management is beyond me,
How about the wipers not working was just a symptom of a damaged BSM (the CAN/VAN side of things). A messed up CAN/VAN controller is likely to affect other parts of the car (because its all networked together) and bring up an error 'MIL'.

Replacing the relay in the BSM didn't fix things, so the control side (CAN/VAN) was probably damaged too. Clever car detected this and warned you in the only way it knows (MIL=ON) :)
Even greater news! It's turned the MIL off and taken itself out of limp mode.
That's great news and well worth remembering with these network connected cars. Thank you for sharing your findings :D
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Experienced Member

Replacing the relay in the BSM didn't fix things, so the control side (CAN/VAN) was probably damaged too. Clever car detected this and warned you in the only way it knows (MIL=ON)
MIL on, maybe, but Limp mode!? bit like amputating someones leg when their toenails need cutting. And replacing the relay didn't work because it was the circuit board which had fried, I suspect as a result of fitting 10v relays in a 12v vehicle.

Running well at the mo, I'm almost tempted to hang on to it, but my family won't allow me to suffer any more, any takers?