Windscreen Wiper Failure

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: bill sutton

Experienced Member

You have a fault with the heater blower too, what would the chances being they have a common cause?
The heater failed first by about a week, and the thought had crossed my mind, and they do share the green connector in the engine bay fuse box, wipers pins 1 & 9, heater blower pin 8, so I guess if there's no current to the blower either at that point then we've found our man so to speak. Will keep you posted.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

bill sutton wrote:No relay can be heard clicking so I guess its either the relay in the bsi or the com 2000 not doing its business. How can I identify which one has failed without replacing random components until it works?
Use lexia, it has the option to read the signals sent from the com2000 for wiper arm switches and displays them on the screen. You can use this to see if the wiper arm signal is getting to the BSI.

You can also use lexia to operate the wipers, that is, bypass the com2000 and activate the wipers from a click of the mouse. Doing this removes the com2000 (in a fault finding sense) from the equation.

The same can be said for most of the other outputs from the BSI, lights, horn, motors. They can be operated from lexia (by passing the switch, and can be monitored for switch activation)

I can upload some instructions if you think this may be some use to you :)

Experienced Member

OK fuse box removed, its a Seimens T118470003 G serial no. 964398880-00 it also says BSM-B3. One of the relays, Fujitsu 51ND10-W1 (0330-N) shows signs of frying. It looks repairable in as much as, another relay could be soldered in place by an electrician with PCB.
Any ideas where I can find one? not Citroen obviously, they don't want people like us maintaining our vehicles on the cheap.

Alternatively, a new fuse box would do the trick, anyone got one?

All the maxi fuses are intact, so much for the easy fix!

Experienced Member

For anyone who's interested, I have managed to locate a replacement relay fujitsu 51ND10-W1 from YEG components, the bad news is, it was their last one! All i need now is someone to solder it to the board for me. The price? free, as it was the last one and they don't stock them anymore because its a 10v relay and most of their stock is 12v. I wonder why they fitted 10v relays in a 12v vehicle anyway? probably to ensure its premature failure and a profitable aftermarket in fuse boxes at a £130 a pop. :!:
I now know which of the relays has failed, namely the on/off relay which failed in the off position initially, but on reassembly has decided to fail in the on position which is a mixed blessing as I can now turn them on with the stalk provided, but now have to lift the bonnet and disconnect the battery to stop them or they'd run forever!!
As a consequence of disconnecting the battery the MIL has come on and put the car in limp mode, I cannot for the life of me imagine why this should be. Is there any way to reset the ECU without diagnostics?, a little button somewhere?
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

I wonder why they fitted 10v relays in a 12v vehicle anyway?
I think its so that the relay is still within operating spec when the battery voltage is low, say during starting or through a worn out battery.

Did your Seimens T118470003 G fuse box come apart easily to be able to see the relay?
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Experienced Member

Did your Seimens T118470003 G fuse box come apart easily to be able to see the relay?
Lots of little tabs to press in, but if you get one open and don't let the gap close (by holding your finger on it) and then go round in sequence, the cover falls off eventually, then its not actually attached to anything, so easily visible all round.

The problem is getting the thing out of the car without using undue force on the plastic retainers and, one of connectors was a complete dog to disconnect, not the big 16 pin ones but an 8 pin one with a catch on the side, don't know what I'm doing wrong there, but we nearly came to blows/wire cutters!!! :x

Experienced Member

Relay, since inspection, has now failed in the "on" position which means that I have had to remove the 30amp fuse (no.17?) to stop them from working, which is fine until it rains, when I'll have to refit it. Open fuse box, rain, not a good look. Might have to solder new relay to PCB myself.

Any tips? I have a solder sucker, but don't feel awfully confident around PCBs, especially when they leave you without a car/£130 worse off (delete as appropriate)

Experienced Member

OK, I give in, got the old relay out and realised the board itself had fried, probably not the relay at all. Attempted to bridge the gap in the PCB by soldering a jump wire across the gap, fitted new relay and, no change, wipers turn on o.k but will never turn off again.

Experienced Member

OK guys, heres a question.

Engine bay fuse boxes come in a variety of flavours, part numbers, manufacturers etc. What is the important thing to match, type or make?

I have seen BSM B-3 fuse boxes in both Seimens and Delphi format, both look identical in terms of layout, can the same be said of function? or do I have to go for as near identical as possible (bar the serial number) or is BSM B-3 enough to assure compatability?

Any ideas/experience on such things much appreciated. :?:
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Any ideas
The Citroen C3 1.4 8v 2003 is listed as being fitted with a Siemens unit, from initial production with the same unit through to 2009. The citroen parts description for that model is 6500Y3 (6500.Y3). This same part number also appears as a siemens BSM-B3 in the petrol (1.4i) C3 from production right through to 2009, when a delphi unit is fitted with part number 6500Y1.

With such a wide usage, I think sticking to Siemens BSM-B3 from a pre 2009 C3 will be fine.

The C2 (C3's little sister) has a Siemens 6500Y3 fitted to the CAN/VAN (early) 1.4 diesels, which widens your search. I wouldn't be surprised to see 6500.Y3 in the 207 and 1007, but I don't have any details on those models.

serial no. 964398880-00
I don't think this is a serial number - 964398880 looks like a part number.