wifes speedo whilst travelling went to zero.

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: MATTHEW LOMAX

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 120000
Trim Level: Rhythm
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

hello my wife drives a citroen c3 1.4hdi 70 hp 2003. whilst driving along before her driving test she'd been in the car for approx 15 mins and the speedo just dropped to zero not like turned off just went to zero nothing else went awry? After approx 7 mins the speedo started to work and has done since. also its got abs could this be the speed sensors or worse??
also a thing to note the car was washed yesterday and i noticed a slightly damp drivers footwell and the wiring grommet on the door hinge side was open/off.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

also a thing to note the car was washed yesterday and i noticed a slightly damp drivers footwell and the wiring grommet on the door hinge side was open/off.
It would be worth checking the BSI isn't wet as this can cause those sort of problems. The BSI is the fuse box in the glovebox.

I don't think you have an ABS wheel sensor fault because you would have some indication of a fault on the dash.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Experienced Member

hi and thanks for the reply i checked both fuse boxes (glove box and under bonnet ) and all was dry now its been exactly a week since the first time and it happened around 9 am its just done it again at around 9 am (coincidence?). I've just checked both fuse boxes and ecu wires etc and all is dry as a bone the only other thing i can think of is speed/abs sensors malfunctioning or fault within speedo unit? like i said it doesn't turn off the speedo just goes to zero.

Experienced Member

me bad was under impression car had abs and it doesn't so it could be something to do with speedo drive on gearbox??

Guru

me bad was under impression car had abs and it doesn't so it could be something to do with speedo drive on gearbox??
Worth a look. this is the sensor (on ebay) that you will probably end up changing. But check and clean the plug and socket electrical connections first.

Citroen C3 speedo sensor for gearbox
Citroen C3 speedo sensor for gearbox
speedo sensor for non ABS C3s
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Experienced Member

speedo not registering any speed now and the steering's gone really heavy not certain but think ive seen other posts possibly linking the two just wondering if it could be.. think i gotta replace speed sensor anyway had it out and looked in fair condition but who knows well not me for certain.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

speedo not registering any speed now and the steering's gone really heavy not certain but think ive seen other posts possibly linking the two just wondering if it could be..
Yes, the power steering computer gets the vehicle speed from the ABS or gearbox sensor. Without a speed signal the power steering ECU disables the power steering assistance.

Experienced Member

:D yeahhh got a new part and its sorted both problems wifes happy im happy wallet in tears had to get from citroen £53 :o ouch thanx all for your help and advice.

Guru

:D yeahhh got a new part and its sorted both problems wifes happy im happy wallet in tears had to get from citroen £53 :o ouch thanx all for your help and advice.
Thank you for keeping us up to date. Well done getting the problems sorted.